Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on December 22. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

Lots of discussion about the Reds. I included a bonus Q&A about career advice. Have a great holiday season, everyone!

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... -9520.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gleyber and Deivi for Castillo. Who says no?

Steve Adams
Seems like more than the Yankees would want to give up.
What are the Reds doing ?

Steve Adams
Cutting payroll -- although it might not be quite that simple. I'll reserve judgment, because it's possible that they've simply identified what they deem to be a flooded area of the market -- right-handed relief pitching -- and chosen not to spend there since bargains will abound late in the winter. If they really do reallocate those dollars and bring in a Semien or Gregorius or Kim, then the Iglesias salary dump and Bradley non-tender won't look so egregious.
A Lindor for K. Bryant+pieces doable for both teams?

Steve Adams
Cleveland is trading Lindor not only because Dolan won't pay to extend him but because Dolan doesn't want to pay him in 2021. Adding Bryant doesn't work.
Where does Moustakas go to if he does get traded?

Steve Adams
I don't see anyone taking on the Moose deal.
K Bryant for Gonsolin. Who says no?

Steve Adams
I'm not giving up Gonsolin for a year of Bryant when I could just re-sign Turner for less money.
Suarez for Kieboom and Robles any chance of that happening?

Steve Adams
I think Robles' glove is so good that they wouldn't put him in the package, selling low on him while also buying low on Suarez. Kieboom in that type of deal seems more plausible.
How long will the Cubs rebuild take before they are serious contenders again?

Steve Adams
They're contenders right now. I don't know that I really see Hoyer embarking on a full tear-down the moment he gets the top job. They'll shuffle the deck and turn over their major stars, but the majority of their core is expensive and up for free agency in a year. They're sort of passed the point where a full-scale, traditional tear-down is viable anyhow. Bryant, Baez, etc. don't have tons of trade value right now (Baez has some, but I doubt the Cubs would move him).
You mentioned earlier no one would take on Moustakas. However, if I take his contract on do you think i can pry Castillo from Reds for a lesser package maybe centered around Heilot Ramos? Previous regime was dumb to trade him for Casey McGehee SMDH.

Steve Adams
I've seen lots of questions about taking Moose or Castellanos or something in order to get Castillo. I don't think the Reds would do that.
Cubs should get good pitcher and players

Steve Adams
JED!
Hire this man as GM!
Do the Pirates do anything this offseason whether trade a vet for decent value, or make unexpected signing? How much faith should we have in Cherington?

Steve Adams
I think they'll shop Musgrove around pretty hard and probably add some small-scale rotation/bullpen/bench pieces whom they hope to flip at this year's trade deadline.
Doubt they give anyone anything more than a one-year contract.
Most likely Red to actually get traded; Moose, Suarez, Gray, Castillo? Suarez and Gray have too good of team deals to trade in my opinion and Castillo costs nothing right now.

Steve Adams
Moose's contract dwarfs anything he'd get in free agency. They'd be selling low on Suarez a little bit. Castillo is cheaper and as controllable as Gray, making him a much tougher player to get commensurate value for.

It's most plausible to me that Gray is the likeliest to reach that nexus of fair value coming back in a trade and short-term benefit from paring back the payroll.
Yanks in on Darvish?

Steve Adams
Doubt it. They want to stay under the luxury tax and are pretty focused on LeMahieu.
They'll sort out the rotation once they know A) If they can keep DJ and B) What that costs.
Castillo for Duran, Balzowic(?), and Larnach?

Steve Adams
That's Luis Castillo for Twins prospects Jhoan Duran, Jordan Balazovic and Trevor Larnach; I have a hard time seeing the Twins giving up that much -- you're talking three top 100 guys there, all plausibly MLB-ready in 2021-22 -- but I think that would tempt the Reds, yes.
Wouldn’t Gregorius and Springer solve much of the Cardinals offensive woes and make for a heck of a defense by shifting DeJong to 3rd?

Steve Adams
The same Cardinals that aren't sure they can offer Molina a two-year deal, aren't sure they can outbid the field for Wainwright on a one-year deal, and weren't willing to pay Kolten Wong $12MM ... are going to sign George Springer for $100MM+ and sign Didi Gregorius?

I cannot fathom any scenario where that happens.
Are the Cubs really looking to trade Darvish now, or just putting out feelers to gauge the July trade market?

Steve Adams
Probably just a matter of due diligence, but if Ricketts isn't going to spend any money to improve the current roster, there's a decent argument to be made that shopping Darvish now when his trade value is at or near its apex is sensible.
How did you become involved with MLBTR and do you have any advice for those aspiring for careers in baseball? Thanks!

Steve Adams
I applied for a part-time, Sunday afternoon spot when I was graduating college back in 2008 and was lucky enough to impress Tim with a writing sample and some answers to various questions regarding roster rules, arbitration etc. etc. I started full-time in 2013 when Ben Nicholson-Smith was hired by Sportsnet in Canada.

Write anywhere and everywhere you can. Eat, sleep and breathe baseball. Apply for posts even if you don't think you have a realistic chance, as you never know if you might impress someone. Come up with angles and ways that you can add value to a web site or even a team or agency. Create a practice, reach out, pitch them on it. Don't be afraid to be rejected.

Tags: