sighyoung wrote:
July 16 21, 7:56 am
Birdfan57 wrote:
July 15 21, 9:43 pm
sighyoung wrote:
July 15 21, 3:43 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
July 15 21, 3:10 pm
Good for Simmons. Sort of surprised but happy for him.
I think it's appropriate, though. He was a main reason for watching those 70's Cardinals teams.
Happy for Ted. He was such a stud. I was at the Sunday game in mid September 1974 against the Cubs. He homered down the RF line where I was sitting and then busted Bill Madlock in the mouth after the Mad Hungarian buzzed the tower on Madlock. Got to see him homer off Carlton in Busch in 1977, proved to be the winning run. In those days the Cardinals never beat Carlton. Nobody was madder than me when Whitey traded him to Milwaukee. Great to see him get the recognition he deserves. He was one tough dude.
That would have been one of their few wins against Carlton--he won over 30 games against the Cardinals during his career. You either got to Carlton early, or he would settle down and cruise.
He was 38-14 with a 2.98 ERA against the Cardinals so I got to see a real rarity that night. Shame on Gussie for not giving him the $65K that he wanted and instead forked it over for Rick "I gotta mop my brow after every pitch" Wise.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Ted Simmons HOFer

Post by sighyoung »

Birdfan57 wrote:
July 16 21, 9:39 am
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
I think it's appropriate, though. He was a main reason for watching those 70's Cardinals teams.
Happy for Ted. He was such a stud. I was at the Sunday game in mid September 1974 against the Cubs. He homered down the RF line where I was sitting and then busted Bill Madlock in the mouth after the Mad Hungarian buzzed the tower on Madlock. Got to see him homer off Carlton in Busch in 1977, proved to be the winning run. In those days the Cardinals never beat Carlton. Nobody was madder than me when Whitey traded him to Milwaukee. Great to see him get the recognition he deserves. He was one tough dude.
That would have been one of their few wins against Carlton--he won over 30 games against the Cardinals during his career. You either got to Carlton early, or he would settle down and cruise.
He was 38-14 with a 2.98 ERA against the Cardinals so I got to see a real rarity that night. Shame on Gussie for not giving him the $65K that he wanted and instead forked it over for Rick "I gotta mop my brow after every pitch" Wise.
But hey, we got Joe Ferguson for Reggie Smith.

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
He also hit 2 hrs and had 13 rbis against the Cardinals.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

There really should be a Hall of Great Players Traded By the Cardinals in the 1970s.

Marvin1964
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Marvin1964 »

Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Don't kid yourself...he wasn't "mopping his brow." He was loading it up when it needed to be done...the mopping of the brow was a distraction.

Birdfan57
Veteran Player

Post by Birdfan57 »

Marvin1964 wrote:
July 16 21, 5:42 pm
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Don't kid yourself...he wasn't "mopping his brow." He was loading it up when it needed to be done...the mopping of the brow was a distraction.
HAHA, he wasn't doing a good job of loading up.

Birdfan57
Veteran Player

Post by Birdfan57 »

sighyoung wrote:
July 16 21, 1:01 pm
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
You had to remind us of that one?

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Birdfan57 wrote:
July 19 21, 7:50 am
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
It was a bleak decade.

But Joe Torre was terrific in 1971.

Birdfan57
Veteran Player

Post by Birdfan57 »

sighyoung wrote:
July 19 21, 3:57 pm
Birdfan57 wrote:
July 19 21, 7:50 am
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Birdfan57 wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
It was a bleak decade.

But Joe Torre was terrific in 1971.
He was unbelievable in 71. .363, 24 and 137 with 230 hits. Seemed like he got a single or double to right center every time he came up with a runner in scoring position.