Waino named w/r/t recv'ing ball-doctoring substances

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Re: Waino named w/r/t recv'ing ball-doctoring substances

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

JoeMcKim wrote:
January 9 21, 4:46 am
You can't put anything on the balls while you're on the mound with all of the TV cameras on you.
You absolutely can, pitchers aren’t putting their hands to their hat between most every pitch as a superstition. You can’t ban all substances since some grip is good for not getting hitters brained with fastballs, but some more attention on enforcing consistency would be good.

Famous Mortimer
All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
January 9 21, 11:33 am
some grip is good for not getting hitters brained with fastballs,
Yes, normal human grip is fine for that, surely? This idea that foreign substances are actually to benefit the game and not just help pitchers is one of the more subtle lies of recent times.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
January 9 21, 1:01 pm
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
January 9 21, 11:33 am
some grip is good for not getting hitters brained with fastballs,
Yes, normal human grip is fine for that, surely? This idea that foreign substances are actually to benefit the game and not just help pitchers is one of the more subtle lies of recent times.
Normal human grip handling the effort needed to throw a ball 95 mph is a bit different. And even if it’s fine 99% of the time that’s still multiple pitches in every game getting away. It’s going to happen to some degree regardless because it’s humans playing and not a simulation, but at the effort, velocity, and volume of pitches in a MLB game/season, I can accept there’s a meaningful difference on safety.

beehut
AAA Minor League Player

Post by beehut »

CardsofSTL wrote:
January 8 21, 5:11 pm
This guy worked for the Angels but didn't name any Angels pitchers?
I think he was the visiting clubhouse attendant? I'd assume he's have some interaction with the Angels guys, too, but I have no clue how that all works.

When I first heard he was a fired Angels clubhouse guy, I was wondering if it was the same guy that had been fired for getting the drugs for Tyler Skaggs, and this was some retribution. Different guy completely.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Why would a pitcher need someone’s help sourcing rosin or tar? Stuff is common and easy. Like pitchers would enlist some guy from another team to do this? As Stringer Bell said, “is you taking notes on a criminal [expletive] conspiracy?”

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

heyzeus wrote:
January 10 21, 7:56 am
Why would a pitcher need someone’s help sourcing rosin or tar? Stuff is common and easy. Like pitchers would enlist some guy from another team to do this? As Stringer Bell said, “is you taking notes on a criminal [expletive] conspiracy?”
I had a cousin who worked in the Cardinals visiting clubhouse for years. These guys use the clubhouse attendants to get them all kinds of stuff - beer, fried chicken, local hamburgers, pizza... party drugs... . If a visiting pitcher was out of his own substance and didn't want to go through the team (a la if it was sketchy), they very well could have tipped the kid extra to go get him some "stuff". Stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

MinorLeagueGuy
Hall Of Famer

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

There are also towels all over the dugout, and starters are typically left to their devices at the other end of it. You got one towel for your pitching arm, one towel for your neck/head, one towel for wiping sweat, etc. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the last towel a guy touches before he jogs out to the mound might have something beneficial on it. Even something thats enhanced when used in conjunction with rosin. Kinda along the lines of how epoxys work( mix part A with part B).