Connor Byrne's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Connor Byrne's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Connor Byrne that occurred on January 14. I believe this was his first chat in 3 months. I also included two bonus Q&As about teams' lack of competitiveness.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-9675.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Do the Cards really owe Molina anything anymore? He's kind of a talent blocker and you need to see what you have waiting.

Connor Byrne
I don't think they "owe" Molina anything, but he does look like one of the top catchers out there after Realmuto, and I don't really trust Knizner to take the ball and run with it at this point. Molina's still at least an OK starter, not to mention the vet leadership that comes with his game.
Who plays shortstop for the Reds this year ?

Connor Byrne
I'll say one of Didi, Semien or Simmons for the Reds. Andrelton should be the least expensive, and he seems like more of a stopgap than Didi and Semien (Reds have Jose Garcia in the wings), so there you go.
Where will Musgrove be pitching in ‘21?

Connor Byrne
I still like the Jays as a fit, as they've shown interest in him in the recent past. That could hinge on whether they get Bauer, though.
Who is your pick for NL Central?

Connor Byrne
Whichever non-Pirates team decides to try at some point. What an awful offseason for that division.
Which may take a 1 yr deal? Odorizzi, Paxton, Kluber, Wainwright, Quintana, Arrieta, Hamels

Connor Byrne
Probably everyone there but Odorizzi and Quintana.
NL Central champs 80 wins. Over/under?

Connor Byrne
Give me 82 right now. We'll see if anyone bothers to do anything between now and the season.
Do you feel the Jays will go after one of Cincy’s starting pitchers?

Connor Byrne
Everyone that wants to contend should be calling on Gray and Castillo (minus Gray in the Yankees' case). Whether CIN will move either is the question.
Wainwright to the Mets? How does that sound?

Connor Byrne
I like it a lot better than Matz as the No. 5. DeGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Waino and Peterson with Syndergaard coming back in the summer would look nice.
Do you see a surprise move in the next week or two for the Cubs or is this the team headed to spring training?

Connor Byrne
I think something will get done at some point. Will it be particularly exciting? I doubt it, based on how they've operated this offseason.

They at least have to add another starter, right?
And Bryant may well go, so that would qualify as exciting. Just in terms of additions, though, I'm not expecting much.
Theo Epstein next MLB commissioner or does he take on a team in need in a year or two?

Connor Byrne
I like the commissioner idea. He's already won titles with the Red Sox and Cubs, cementing his HOF status. Taking over the entire league would be a logical step at some point. Guarantee he'd do a better job than Manfred has.
Connor, when does the league get serious about the fact that roughly 75% of teams are making no effort to actually improve themselves? They will point to profit losses from COVID, but this trend has been going on for years and it is ruining the game.

Connor Byrne
I don't disagree. It's frustrating and doing baseball no favors in the public eye.
Is there actual $$ available or should free agents grab a seat someplace before the music stops?

Connor Byrne
There's money available. As Scott Boras said to the owners (I'm paraphrasing), "You didn't lose money. You just didn't make as much."

Tags: