Connor Byrne's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Connor Byrne's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Connor Byrne that occurred on January 21. Kind of a mediocre chat this week. Not even anything very worthy of bonus Q&As.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-9736.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Where does Simmons end up?

Connor Byrne
The Reds continue to stick out to me as the most likely fit, as they obviously need a shortstop & Simmons should cost less than Gregorius and Semien.
Who should the Nats get to be playoff contenders?

Connor Byrne
I still like the idea of a Justin Turner/Kris Bryant acquisition, but that depends on what they want to do with Kieboom. More bullpen help would also be nice.
With DJ and Springer both off the board, is Kris Bryant the biggest impact bat left on the market? Do the Cubs trade him to the Jays, Braves, or Dodgers imminently?

Connor Byrne
I'd say he has the highest potential of anyone who could be available. The Braves stand out as the top fit for me. It would fit Alex Anthopoulos' MO of adding a guy on a high-priced one-year deal.
With 0 more starting-caliber catchers (other than JTR, who Hoyer will not sign) left on the market, will Hoyer have to get back an MLB catcher if he trades Contreras?

Connor Byrne
I'd argue Molina is still a starting-caliber catcher - just not a very exciting one anymore. Not saying he'd sign with a longtime nemesis, granted. Robinson Chirinos and Wilson Ramos could be other targets. I don't expect Contreras to go anywhere this offseason, though.
Brewers will make the playoffs this year.

Connor Byrne
They might. That looks like a division that's there for the taking for anyone but the Pirates.
(Someone posing as Tom Ricketts said)

Just here to announce that I am the worst and I will be selling the Cubs ASAP.

Connor Byrne
Ricketts went from World Series-winning owner to pariah pretty quickly. Can't say I blame Cubs fans for their anger toward him.
Will any team in NL Central make playoffs??

Connor Byrne
It's looking like MLB's version of the NFC East right now.
Could the Mets net Bryant and Kimbrel for JD Davis?

Connor Byrne
I wouldn't trade Davis for that package.
David Fletcher and Reid Detmers for Luis Castillo. Who says no?

Connor Byrne
This is intriguing, but I'd say the Reds.
Yankees receive Liam Hendricks and Cubs get Clint Frazier, Clarke Schmidt, No. 7 prospect Estevan Florial, No. 8 prospect Alexander Vizcaino and Adam Ottavino? Per Yanks, go yard.

Connor Byrne
Kyle Hendricks? I don't think that's enough for him.
Is Inciarte riding the bench for ATL or playing elsewhere this season?

Connor Byrne
Probably riding the bench. Unless some team takes that contract back in a money-saving trade, that is. Maybe the Cubs would do it if the Braves tack on better prospects in a Bryant deal or something.
Can we get your thoughts on who the Cubs received in the Darvish trade? On paper, is the return good at this point?

Connor Byrne
Like seemingly everyone else, I'm not too enamored of it, which has a lot to do with the Cubs crying poor and not making a real effort to win.

Tags: