2021 Spring Training Countdown

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Do you think MLB Spring Training will start on time?

Poll ended at February 15 21, 8:45 pm

Yes, I hope so
25%
Yes but it shouldn't
38%
No and I am sad
19%
No and I am glad
No votes
Jose DeLeon
13%
wtf is with the Bernie Sanders memes?
6%

Total votes: 16

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: 2021 Spring Training Countdown

Post by GeddyWrox »

heyzeus wrote:
January 25 21, 3:15 pm
I can't think of a coming baseball season I've been less excited for. Wheeeeeeeeee.
Same.

I think part of it for me is the full weight of everything else going on. Plus the Cardinals lack of doing ANYTHING in the offseason. Plus the fact that the Blues just started up a few weeks ago. In terms of sports season juxtaposition, MLB should be just about finishing up the world series right about now. LOL

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Right now I have the Chiefs to get excited about. After the Super Bowl its going to get very depressing if the Cardinals are mediocre at best and the Blues are a playoff team but not a serious threat to win the Cup.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

oh nice, now conspiracies in baseball. so much joy in life.
Alex Coffey of The Athletic reports that an MLB representative encouraged members of the Cactus League to write a letter to commissioner Rob Manfred about delaying the start of spring training.

According to Coffey, a source said that the MLB executive in question was "very direct" and the hope was that the letter would "put pressure on players" to push back spring training. The letter, which was signed by Cactus League executive director Bridget Binsbacher and local leaders, suggested that it would be "wise" to delay the start of spring training until sometime in mid-March due to the rising COVID-19 case numbers in Maricopa County, Arizona. For what it's worth, both MLB and Binsbacher have both denied that there was any encouragement to write the letter. Still, the letter ultimately accomplished nothing and could lead to further distrust between MLB's owners and the MLBPA, which is the last thing they need. As of now, spring training is on track to start on time in Arizona and Florida.
Source: The Athletic
Jan 26, 2021, 3:19 PM ET

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

According to Ken Rosenthal and Matt Gelb of The Athletic, MLB is in the process of finalizing a revised schedule for the Grapefruit League.

Teams will be placed on "pods" on the east and west coasts of Florida to minimize travel and risk associated with COVID-19. West coast teams (Yankees, Phillies, Blue Jays, Pirates, Orioles, Rays, Red Sox, Twins, Braves, Tigers) will play 28 games while east coast teams (Nationals, Astros, Cardinals, Marlins, Mets) will play 24 games and make up the difference with "intrasquad-type" games. It seems the west coast teams could actually be separate in two separate pods, as well. It's a logical step from a safety perspective, though it's obviously not ideal for the NL East teams to see so much of each other. This could mean teams would limit exposure of their top starting pitchers, opting instead for simulated games before getting a couple of tune-ups. Look for official announcements in the coming days.
Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter
Feb 8, 2021, 11:16 AM ET

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I am never voting again. But my body is ready for Birds on the Bat, and spring baseball.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

According to Hannah Keyser of Yahoo Sports, MLB and the MLBPA could have the health and safety protocols finalized as early as Monday night.

Keyser adds that the health and safety protocols for the 2021 season are expected to include seven-inning doubleheaders and the runner at second base in extra innings but no universal DH. It seems like the owners want to use the DH as a bargaining chip for the CBA talks that are coming next winter. The union, meanwhile, is holding out on expanded playoffs in the same vein. There should be something more official within the next 12-24 hours, though these protocols could presumably be altered after spring training gets underway.
Source: Hannah Keyser on Twitter
Feb 8, 2021, 5:14 PM ET

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Just give me f'ing baseball.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I really don't care that much if they have 30 exhibition games or not before the season. Just as long as they get the start of the season to start on time and they have enough time to get ready for the regular season. But spring training games themselves are rather boring and I could without them.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Kramer Robertson is only a few middle infield injuries away from making the Cardinals roster, a lot of Seinfeld jokes in the GDT's will be had by all.