Cardinals acquire Nolan Arenado from Rockies (Update on page 10)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: Cardinals acquire Nolan Arenado from Rockies (Update on page 10)

Post by cardsfantx »

Jocephus wrote:
February 3 21, 8:57 am
Valuing Nolan Arenado’s New Contract
by Ben Clemens
February 3, 2021
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/valuing-nol ... -contract/
that's still so crazy to me...we are paying him $0 this year...so if he has a monster year and opts out...well we just got a monster year out of him and paid him nothing lol
For the Cardinals, this is a great fit. They’d been acting as though cash was a key constraint this year, and getting a year of Arenado at no cost (literally, no monetary cost!) does a good job of making the short-term books work. In the long run, they’re paying him nothing for one year (if he opts out after 2021), $35 million over two years (if he opts out after 2022), or $164 million over seven years.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

(1st clip filmed before the trade)
Last edited by Jocephus on February 3 21, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

The scenario where Colorado keeps Arenado and he opts out also means they get another year of Arenado, and it's less clear that the package they got from St. Louis is expected to produce more than the comp pick + a year of Arenado, especially since it looks like they're also paying more money in this trade than they would under that scenario.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

these videos may get deleted 'cause i dont think they're affiliated with mlb, mlb network...some dude just uploadin them...and they're from the last few days, not all *after* things being official
these clips unfortunately include that mad dog guy
no more mad dog
and here's the COL presser if you want to listen

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

So he requested an opt-out in 2022. Sounds like he wants to see what the cards do to further improve the team.

I like it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

go birds wrote:
February 3 21, 11:42 am
So he requested an opt-out in 2022. Sounds like he wants to see what the cards do to further improve the team.

I like it.
as others here and afar have thought, 2021-22 Free agency period may be rough again so makes sense for him to add another year to get a look at the free agent landscape, etc.

it really does seem perfect though, from StL perspective. if he opts out, StL hopefully gets 1 or 2 prime years and then move on. If he stays, hopefully he "ages gracefully", similar to holliday, etc and the last few years aren't *too* rough while still getting some good/decent years in his middle 30s. maybe he'll turn into a pumpkin in the end but right now i, personally, am only thinking about the 1st two years right now.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Jocephus wrote:
February 3 21, 11:45 am
go birds wrote:
February 3 21, 11:42 am

I like it.
as others here and afar have thought, 2021-22 Free agency period may be rough again so makes sense for him to add another year to get a look at the free agent landscape, etc.

it really does seem perfect though, from StL perspective. if he opts out, StL hopefully gets 1 or 2 prime years and then move on. If he stays, hopefully he "ages gracefully", similar to holliday, etc and the last few years aren't *too* rough while still getting some good/decent years in his middle 30s. maybe he'll turn into a pumpkin in the end but right now i, personally, am only thinking about the 1st two years right now.
yea the opt-outs really don't bother me. also gives more time for us to figure out if gorman will actually be a 3Bmen

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

FU*K Alex Bregman

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

The Legend of John Mozeliak, Thief of the Rockies

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The Green Miles wrote:
February 3 21, 10:10 am
Still available.
This made me happy.