Connor Byrne's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Connor Byrne's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Connor Byrne that occurred on January 28. It took place before the Wainwright signing. Lots of content this week, thanks to brief answers. There are also 3 bonus Q&As; topics include a possible strike, team building and sources.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-9801.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think the Cubs will trade Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Contreras or Hendrick before the season starts or at all?

Connor Byrne
I still kind of expect Bryant to go, but otherwise, I think that group will stay intact heading into the season.
Adam Wainwright to the Padres?

Connor Byrne
This would make sense for the Padres or any other contending team that wants to bolster the back end of its rotation.
Does Justin Turner have to keep playing the Brewers, Mets and Blue Jays? Or can he just sign a 1 yr deal with the Dodgers already?

Connor Byrne
I think Turner ultimately returns to LA on either a two-year deal or a one-year contract with some sort of option. Can't see him getting the 3-/4-year pact he wants.
So, with the news that Angels are not going to pursue Bauer, who do you think they should focus on instead? Odorizzi? Gray? Or someone else?

Connor Byrne
Those guys would make sense, yes, as would a Castillo trade. That might prove too costly, though. Might be worth noting Hamels is a California native with ties to Maddon, but I think the Angels should be shooting for more of a sure thing.

speaking of Maddon, if Kyle Hendricks is actually available, the Angels should be pressing for him (not saying he is).
I know he's not a sure thing, but I'd bet the Cardinals would trade C-Mart to the Angels, if for nothing else, to free up money to sign Molina and Wainwright.

Connor Byrne
Depends on what the Cards would get back. I've always been bullish on Martinez, so he's not a guy I'd be hurrying to trade.
Where does Joc Pederson end up?

Connor Byrne
I've always liked the Cardinals as a fit, but they're apparently in "we're only going to sign Waino and/or Molina" mode.
Any chance the Pirates trade Frazier and Kuhl? Any value in a return for either?

Connor Byrne
Yes to both questions, though I don't think either would return any kind of haul right now.
Any chance the Braves would sign Eddie Rosario?

Connor Byrne
Would make sense as a consolation prize if they don't get someone like Ozuna, Turner, Bryant, Arenado or even Pederson. They obviously need help at corner OF and/or 3B.
As a lifelong Cards fan, I am disgusted with the team. I don't care if they allow fans to the games. Why would I spend money to watch Goldy and a triple a team? No thanks. There payroll is down almost 50 mil from what it was and still nothing. Do you believe the poor poor me bs?

Connor Byrne
I don't blame you. Their offseason has been terrible, especially with no one else in the NL Central putting forth much of an effort. That division is there for the taking.
Why is Stearns so obsessed with signing mediocre infielders and not going after a good #3 starter...is it because he's got too much invested in Josh Lindblom?

Connor Byrne
In fairness to the Brewers' David Stearns, he doesn't control the budget. I'm sure if he had his druthers, he'd spend more.
Amed Rosario going to be traded to Reds, to anyone?

Connor Byrne
The Reds do make sense because of their unwillingness to spend, not to mention the lack of non-Gregorius options on the open market.
Favorite single move of the offseason so far?

Connor Byrne
Probably the Darvish acquisition for San Diego.
Argh...do me Pirates win 60 games this year?

Connor Byrne
Don't think so.
Kris Bryant for Drew Waters. Who says no?

Connor Byrne
Definitely Atlanta.
Do you think the Pirates would be interested in Jordan Yamamoto? Could Cherington work out a trade for him and Diowell Burgos for Adam Frazier?

Connor Byrne
Yamamoto seems like the type the Pirates would/should take a chance on. He's not going to cost much.
Bauer, Bryant, Bradley, do any of them end up on the Mets or is it Springer and Hand all over again?

Connor Byrne
JBJ seems the most likely to me
Does Ryan Braun go quietly into the sunset?

Connor Byrne
Possibly. Not really sure why any team would be guaranteeing Braun much of anything at this point.
So if no one in the NL Central is even going to try, Manfred should just take away their playoff spot and give an extra one to the NL East. Agree?

Connor Byrne
I'm all for the playoffs going by best record, not division. Same deal in the NFL where the Washington Football Team went 7-9 or whatever and won its division.
Now that Realmuto is off the board, Hoyer can insist on multiple top 5 prospects for Contrares, correct?

Connor Byrne
I think Jed Hoyer could have insisted on that anyway. Contreras is extremely valuable.
(assuming you're talking about a given team's top 5 prospects, not top 5 prospects in the sport)
Not thrilled with the Reds inaction this season, but really, is Didi that much better--like $11M better-- than Rosario?

Connor Byrne
Depends on which A. Rosario you're getting. He was pretty good in 2019 but has otherwise been a letdown.
Didi was miles above him last season.
Is a strike after the 2021 season almost inevitable?

Connor Byrne
I expect some sort of work stoppage, considering neither side can seem to agree on anything.
Fans are uninformed. Free agency is a bad way to build a team. Fans should stop it with the “they’ve got to spend more” whining.

Connor Byrne
Free agency is a bad way to build a team, yes, but it's a good way to supplement one. And I get why certain fans are angry that their teams aren't making an apparent effort to win. I mean, at least spend something.
When a reporter has a "source" or gets something "first", what's actually happening there? Do they know the agent? Friend of the player? Or a purposeful leak from the team?

Connor Byrne
It's often the agent.

Tags: