Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on January 30. This chat took place the day after the Arenado trade was announced, so keep that in mind as you read it. I included one bonus Q&A about potential HoF inductees (both present and future).

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-9813.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yadier Molina and done for STL?

Mark Polishuk
I guess we'll have to see what the exact fallout of the Arenado trade is to see if the Cards might have another hole to fill, but I'd guess the proverbial heavy lifting is done.
When should the Arenado to Cardinals trade be approved and completed?

Mark Polishuk
According to most reports it might be a week, given all of the many contractual items to be arranged, league approval for the money going from the Rockies to the Cardinals, physicals on the players involved, etc.
I understand the money side of the Arenado trade but kicking in 50 mil, the Rockies return was way to light. Your thoughts?

Mark Polishuk
It seems ludicrously light, based on the information known about the trade thus far. Rockies fans are justified in being irate about this.
When Scott Rolen goes into the HOF, what hat does he wear?

Mark Polishuk
Surely a Cardinals hat, I'd think. The 2006 Series is the clincher.
What's the likelihood of the Rays actually trading Adames to the Reds?

Mark Polishuk
You can't rule out the possibility of any Rays player (save Franco) being dealt, so there's certainly a chance something comes of these talks.
How do the Cardinals keep "stealing" players (Holiday, Goldschmidt, Arenado). Are they doing things differently than other clubs and I'm surprised they are approved by league, etc.

Mark Polishuk
I'm not sure "stealing" is exactly the right word. When you're able to consistently develop good prospects from your farm system (as the Cards have for close to two decades now), you will always be in position to acquire big-name players in a trade.

Plus, I'm sure many Cards fans can list a dozen examples of trades over the last decade that went awry for the team.
Why would the Cubs sign Joc Pederson when they have been shedding a lot of payroll by trading Darvish and Caratini and non tendering Schwarber and declining Lester’s option?

Mark Polishuk
Ownership apparently recently approved more spending, hence the recent additions: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/ ... rieta.html

If I'm Jed Hoyer, I'm probably thinking "it would've been great to know this BEFORE I dealt Yu Darvish," but still...
Non Adell trade package: Fletcher, Detmers, and Adams for Castillo. Who says no?

Mark Polishuk
Luis Castillo? Reds says no.
Do the Mariners make a move for Pirates Adam Frazier?

Mark Polishuk
Frazier would be a nice fit in Seattle, that makes sense.
I’ve read some baseball experts saying Kris Bryant could have a good season going into a new contract season for 2022? Do you see a good season for Kris Bryant?

Mark Polishuk
Sure, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bryant bounces back to his pre-2020 form. He was bothered by nagging injuries for basically all of last year, on top of all the unusual circumstances of the shortened season.
Would the Rangers be willing to swap Odor for Carpenter? Contracts seem comparable and Odor is still young and could benefit from a change of scenery.

Mark Polishuk
Carpenter has a no-trade clause, and I can't see him waiving it to join a rebuilding team.
I still feel the Reds are saving their bullets to pay Bauer. All his people are there: the pitching coach, assistant pitching coach, and the guy who is overall head of pitching for the organization. He loves the team. They love him. He has said he has the best time of his life pitching for them. I can see them saying, “Hold on Trev, e we just need to clear some money to sign you.” If any of Castellanos, Moustakas, Suarez or Votto gets traded I think you’ll see Bauer signed with the Reds quick. Impossible?

Mark Polishuk
I guess we can't rule it out entirely until Bauer signs elsewhere, but it would be a strange pivot for the Reds based on everything else they've done this winter.

Plus, if you're Bauer, wouldn't you want to have, say, Suarez on your team?
Do you think the Cubs will extend any of the current roster or will this be the final season for the core?

Mark Polishuk
Seems like there's a genuine chance all of the "core" Cubs are let go, either via trade or free agency. Depends on the Cubs' financial situation.
Haven’t heard much Hader news, anything (Brewing)? 😎

Mark Polishuk
Nothing new on that front. Seems like the Brewers won't move him unless they get a ton in return.
Will Cleveland end up with the lowest payroll?

Mark Polishuk
"Ha! No way!" --- the Pirates
This sort of feels like the Goldschmidt trade, which has not worked out so well for the Cards -- pay premium dollars for a player on the wrong side of 30. I really hope we didn't give up much of anything -- Gomber by himself might be an overpay -- am I wrong???

Mark Polishuk
Here's the one Cardinals fan not overjoyed by the Arenado trade!

To be fair, it isn't great that this trade is being made after a down year for Arenado. But really, the Goldschmidt trade has hardly been a failure (he was great in 2020, good in 2019), and since the Cards have apparently given up next to nothing for Arenado, why not?
I love Scott Rolen - amazing defender - but is he really HOF worthy? Not the greatest with the bat, good but not great.

Mark Polishuk
Rolen is a pretty easy pick for me on my hypothetical ballot.
I still find the Ottavino deal remarkable, but could we have another rival trade? Amed Rosario to the Reds? The Indians just got him! For 2 top 30 prospects?

Mark Polishuk
Cleveland and Cincinnati did join up as part of that three-team Bauer trade two years ago, so the Buckeye State rivalry isn't nearly as heated as Yankees/Red Sox.
If MLB salary economics stay as is, is Bucs best hope to be the Rays (i.e. constant roster movement, never keeping a player long-term, etc)? If so, not very pleasant for the average fan.

Mark Polishuk
I think Pittsburgh fans would happily take some roster churn every year in exchange for a team that wins 90 games and contends for the pennant.
Likelihood some HOF voters who’ve frozen out Bonds and Clemens vote for Rodriguez? What could possibly be the rationale, when ARod lied and lied and got caught and did it again and also sued MLB?

Mark Polishuk
Given the Bonds/Clemens precedents, I would be pretty surprised if A-Rod ever got the votes to get inducted.

Tags:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

A week for the deal to be approved is the longest I've heard. I thought most were expecting today or tomorrow.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

I seem to recall last year's Mookie Betts trade taking a while to finalize.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

“Gomber by himself might be an overpay”

LOL. Good to see some quality old school CardsTalk questions.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Popeye_Card wrote:
February 1 21, 8:15 pm
“Gomber by himself might be an overpay”

LOL. Good to see some quality old school CardsTalk questions.
I'm so thankful we never traded John Gall