Albert Pujols retiring after the season

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Gypsy Lou
Everyday Player

Re: Albert Pujols retiring after the season

Post by Gypsy Lou »

Gypsy Lou wrote:
February 23 21, 9:54 am
I remember thinking to myself during the all-star break of his rookie season he has a chance of being the greatest Cardinal ever. If he had stayed a Cardinal woulda come close. Anyone compared his career stats with Stan the Man? I bet they're similar but Musial better.
Stan .331/.417/.559/.976, 475hr's 1957 RBI
Albert .299/.377/.546/.924, 662hr's 2100 RBI

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Gypsy Lou wrote:
February 23 21, 10:15 am
Gypsy Lou wrote:
I remember thinking to myself during the all-star break of his rookie season he has a chance of being the greatest Cardinal ever. If he had stayed a Cardinal woulda come close. Anyone compared his career stats with Stan the Man? I bet they're similar but Musial better.
Stan .331/.417/.559, 475hr's 1957 RBI
Albert .299/.377/.546, 662hr's 2100 RBI
There are of course some nuances involved as well. Stan got to feast on sub-par talent in the league during WW2 (of course he missed a year in his prime as well). Stan aged more gracefully, though there is a good chance Pujols is up to 5 years older than his listed age placing their career arcs more in line.

Pujols' Cardinals line is pretty close. 11 years, .328/.420/.617, 445 HR, 1329 RBI. On paper his age 21-31 years, but more likely in the range of his 25-35 years. That's pretty bonkers.

EDIT: Stan also played about half of his career in a fully to partially segregated league. During his best year in 1948, the league was still 98.5% white.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I kinda hate that the Cardinals made the right call letting AP walk after 2011.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

heyzeus wrote:
February 23 21, 1:26 pm
I kinda hate that the Cardinals made the right call letting AP walk after 2011.
That, or that they were right to only offer 5 years.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

go birds wrote:
so does he go into the hall as a cardinal or angel
One of them has one of the greatest stretches in baseball history, was the face of the franchise, 3 MVPs, and 2 World Series titles.
The other one has an aging curve of disappointment, very few accolades, was completely overshadowed by another generational talent, and a personal services contract that pays him after he retires.

So definitely the Angels.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

TheoSqua wrote:
February 23 21, 2:23 pm
go birds wrote:
One of them has one of the greatest stretches in baseball history, was the face of the franchise, 3 MVPs, and 2 World Series titles.
The other one has an aging curve of disappointment, very few accolades, was completely overshadowed by another generational talent, and a personal services contract that pays him after he retires.

exactly hahaha

maybe i definitely made this up, but i seem to recall some contractual language around him going in as an angel.

prolly just made that up, but for whatever reason its stuck in my mind

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

well he has like a10 year "personal service" contract with anaheim right? (on his bref - 10-year, $10M personal-services contract begins once player contract expire)

i dont know what that means exactly. does it mean he can only associate with anaheim once he's retired? is it essentially just a "ambassador" title? to promote baseball but be in an anaheim uniform when he does it? or his future charities must be tied with anaheim? i dont know but i assume people have taken that to mean he *has* to go into the HOF with an angels cap...but i dont know.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

go birds wrote:
February 23 21, 2:35 pm
TheoSqua wrote:
go birds wrote:

exactly hahaha

maybe i definitely made this up, but i seem to recall some contractual language around him going in as an angel.

Keep in mind, though, that going in as an Angel would mean the HOF having to play an infinite loop of the Angels' play-by-play announcer calling every Pujols home run a 'jimmy-jack.' So I think it'll be a Cardinals uniform.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

sighyoung wrote:
February 23 21, 3:48 pm
go birds wrote:
February 23 21, 2:35 pm
TheoSqua wrote:
go birds wrote:

exactly hahaha

Keep in mind, though, that going in as an Angel would mean the HOF having to play an infinite loop of the Angels' play-by-play announcer calling every Pujols home run a 'jimmy-jack.' So I think it'll be a Cardinals uniform.
He won 2 WS with the Cardinals as well. I hope that he goes in as a Cardinal.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Strange Pujols trivia, as I look over his career stats.

3 times in his career, he got exactly 700 PA's in a season. Never more. That's almost as crazy as Khris Davis hitting exactly .247 four seasons in a row.