Albert Pujols retiring after the season

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: Albert Pujols retiring after the season

Post by Leroy »

Otis Nixon, Marquis Grissom, DeLino DeSheilds, Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee, Tony Gwynn and Vince Coleman on the original RBI. Un friggin stoppable.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
February 25 21, 9:09 am
go birds wrote:
February 25 21, 8:45 am
pujols never hit 50 homers in a season which seems weird to think about.

he came really close in 2006 though when he lost the MVP to.........................ryan howard
And had he not missed 19 games, he most certainly would have.
Ha didn't even check that aspect...but still that would have only been 1 season. still would be have been to think about.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Jocephus wrote:
February 25 21, 12:01 pm
since we're all getting mushy
:sob: I live with the cognitive dissonance of both agreeing that the Cardinals made the right move in not extending Albert, and also absolutely wishing he signed that 9 year, $210m deal (is that right?) that I think I remember was on the table.

I’m convinced that Albert’s decline would have been more graceful/less sudden had he stayed in stl. I think he really pressed to be “the guy” in Anaheim, and that those struggles stuck with him, effecting those early-and most productive years. I think he would have been more relaxed in stl (and on a deep cards team 12 and 13) and would have performed better the first few years of the deal at least, if not a little better for most years.

Just speculation obviously.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Albert Pujols said Saturday that he won't make a decision on his potential retirement until the end of the 2021 season.

The future Hall of Fame first baseman told reporters, "My main focus is on the end of this year. That decision will come at the end of the year... This thing got blown out of proportion." Pujols' wife, Deidre posted to her Instagram earlier in the week that "today is the first day of the last season of one of the most remarkable careers in sports!" which fueled speculation that Pujols would be retiring at season's end. For now, his focus is solely on the 2021 season. He'll enter the year in fifth place on the all-time home run list -- 34 behind Alex Rodriguez and 38 shy of 700 for his career. Perhaps his reasoning for wanting to play another season after 2021 could be to reach that illustrious milestone.
Source: Mike DiGiovanna on Twitter
Feb 27, 2021, 10:44 AM ET

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Albert Pujols Arrives in Jupiter
by RJ McDaniel
March 2, 2021
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/albert-pujo ... n-jupiter/