Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on February 27. I included a discussion about greatest 2B, since it included a couple members of what is now the NL Central.

I also included 2 bonus Q&As. One is about the (lack of) TOR radio broadcasters, because I hadn't heard of that decision and I know a number of people listen to the Cards via radio. The other is about first name MLB trivia.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-10031.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Any moves for Cards or are the done to start the season?

Mark Polishuk
Probably done in terms of big moves, maybe some tinkering in the bullpen or something. Plans could change in the event of a major injury, but St. Louis looks more or less done.
What do you estimate are the chances that the Reds go full on fire sale if they're out of contention approaching the trade deadline? Grim portents all around this organization.

Mark Polishuk
"Full-on fire sale" would imply the Reds would start another multi-year rebuild, which seems impossible to fathom considering they only just came out of such a rebuild. Waving the white flag on the next few years would be a good way to ruin fan interest in Cincinnati, frankly.

I don't doubt that the Reds would look to make some deals if they were out of contention, but there aren't a ton of obvious candidates. Lorenzen can be a free agent, Barnhart and Miley are under club options, Doolittle could gain interest if he has a rebound year. Castellanos can opt out after 2021, so the Reds might trade him if they feel they can get more at the deadline than the draft compensation they'd receive via a qualifying offer.
Do you think Luis Castillo winds up in Toronto before the season starts?

Mark Polishuk
Nope. To continue on the Reds, they might not move such big-ticket trade chips as Castillo until after the season, if they did decide on a rebuild.
Could Cubs look at Odorizzi?

Mark Polishuk
That would be a real pivot. I kind of doubt that ownership's approval of extra spending for the Cubs included enough money to get Odorizzi into the fold (even if he does take a somewhat smaller deal than expected).
Couldn't the Reds just as easily go the other way? Find themselves in contention, pull the trigger on a shortstop and a pitcher, and push themselves over the top? It's not like anyone else in that division is particularly trying to run away with it.

Mark Polishuk
It's possible, sure. For all of the rumors and speculation about the Reds' cost-cutting, they ultimately held onto all of their really big names and just let go of Iglesias and Bradley. They might give themselves a few months to properly assess where they are, and then go from there.
Is there any truth to the rumors about the Padres acquiring Yelich and/or Hader?

Mark Polishuk
I would say zero chance on Yelich, and only a very small chance on Hader. Milwaukee would move Hader if someone overpaid for him, but I don't think the Brewers are all that eager to ship him out for anything less than a big trade haul.
The Brewers, after all, have to be thinking they can steal the NL Central this year.
The Reds also lost Bauer.

Mark Polishuk
Fair point. I didn't include Bauer since I didn't think Cincy would be retaining him anyway.
On paper, Cardinals' rotation looks good but all but Flaherty have asterisks next to their names. I know Mo said big moves are done, but doesn't St. Louis native Odorizzi or Porcello make sense?

Mark Polishuk
Porcello isn't exactly a sure thing himself, and the same could even be said about Odorizzi considering how little he actually pitched in 2020. The Cards might be more prone to making a pitching add (if necessary) at the deadline rather than before Opening Day.
Is Luis Urias already the SS for the Brewers? Based on the comments made so far in Spring, it feels like the Crew are going to throw him to fire, but for real this time, no?

Mark Polishuk
Milwaukee seems like they'll be somewhat flexible in moving Urias, Arcia, and Robertson between SS and 3B, with Shaw also an option for third. Urias might get the majority of shortstop time, though Arcia and Robertson will also get some looks based on matchups.
My neighbor says the Brewers will sign Jackie Bradley Jr? I say he will sign with the Astros. Who has the better chance of being correct?

Mark Polishuk
Is your neighbor Scott Boras or David Stearns?

Brewers are an interesting team to be in on Bradley, they make more sense the more I thought about it.
If I had to guess, I'd lean towards the Brewers, if these reports about Houston wanting to avoid the luxury tax are true.
(Earlier, he said Roberto Alomar was a Top 10 all-time 2B, but not in the Top 5.)

Your 2B answer was intriguing. If Alomar isn't top five, who are? I mean Mark Lemke is a given, but the other four?

Mark Polishuk
Off the top of my head, I'd put Hornsby, Morgan, and Lajoie already of Alomar. Eddie Collins probably as well.

Charlie Gehringer is right up there too.
Is Braun retired? Does he wait for the DH to come to the NL next year and sign back with the Crew?

Mark Polishuk
From Braun's most recent comments, it sounds like Brewers or bust: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/02/ ... uture.html
Come on Mark, Jackie Robinson is way better than Morgan, Collins, or Gehringer.

Mark Polishuk
Aw geez, of all the guys to omit! Though Jackie did spend a good chunk of time at the corner infield spots too, not only 2B.

I will also take this moment to shout out Bobby Grich, Lou Whitaker, Frankie Frisch, and the many other great second baseman everyone is kindly (well, mostly kindly) reminding me about in the question queue.
What is your take on the Jays not having radio broadcasters for the 2021 season? Hope it doesn’t lead to other teams copying them.

Mark Polishuk
As someone who listens to a lot of Jays games on the radio, I'm not a huge fan of the move. It helps that Dan Shulman is an experienced radio voice, so I'm sure he can manage to call the game in a way that helps both the TV viewer and the radio listener.
Do you know the ball player who had all 5 vowels in his first name?

Mark Polishuk
I feel like there must've been a player named "Aurelio" at some point, right?

Tags:

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Leroy »

Mark Lemke has to be a joke. Right?

Mdcardfan60
AA Minor League Player

Post by Mdcardfan60 »

Aurelio Rodriguez is an A short of having all the vowels in both names.

signthief
Veteran Player

Post by signthief »

Late to the party here, but yeah...............Jackie Robinson was not better than Eddie Collins. Good god man.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

signthief wrote:
March 5 21, 8:50 am
Late to the party here, but yeah...............Jackie Robinson was not better than Eddie Collins. Good god man.
Congrats on signing Wong and JBJ! I really wanted Kolten at 2B - along with Goldy & Nolan that would’ve been one hell of an infield defense...oh, well.

Did Cain retire? If he went elsewhere, I missed it.