Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on March 2. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

A lot of Reds content this time. I included 3 bonus Q&As: expansion, roster stability and defense. The answer on the last topic might inspire Fat Strat to do a column.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... 10059.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Odorozzi make sense in Cincinnati?

Steve Adams
Sure, but the Reds have spent $1.5M this winter and spent the rest of the year frantically cutting as much payroll as possible. I'd be surprised to see them suddenly pony up on the three-year deal Odo wants.
Shouldn’t the Pirates pick up a guy like Puig and hope they can flip him for a piece if he plays well?

Steve Adams
Puig played pretty well up through the 2019 season and hasn't signed a contract since. I don't think trade demand is going to be there.
Is Amir Garrett the answer for the Reds at closer?

Steve Adams
Garrett is really good. I can see him handling that role well.
I like free agent Jedd Gyorko. Could you see him being a good bench bat for the Cincinnati Reds? David Bell likes versatility in his players and Gyorko can play all 4 INF spots and corner OF.

Steve Adams
At this point Gyorko would be their starting shortstop.
Will anyone claim Duane Underwood? Lots of arm there, just hasn't gotten people out.

Steve Adams
He's more intriguing, to me anyway, than a lot of the fringe 40-man guys on the back of some non-contending teams' rosters.
Reds “frantically” cut payroll like I frantically await Steve Adams chats so he can trash Cinci.

Steve Adams
You want to defend that ownership group after their offseason, you go right ahead. Also, I picked the Reds to win the NL Central last summer, but yes, I hate them.

You can think a team had a garbage offseason without having any actual ill will toward the franchise itself. Not going to sugar coat what a disappointing winter it's been for Reds fans though. You ought to be furious with the team, not with me.
Doesn't it seem the Reds "salary dumping as much as possible" has been overstated? Yes, they've barely added anything but "as much as possible" so far has been trading Iglesias and that's about it.

Steve Adams
Yeah, it was an overstatement. I'll admit that. They didn't dump Gray or Castillo.
Gregory Polanco with 50 homeruns in 2021? Heard it here first...

Steve Adams
I will give you all the credit in the world if this happens.
Any chance at all Quinn Priester makes the majors this year?

Steve Adams
Twenty years old, four innings in A-ball and on a Pirates team that has no incentive to start his service clock.
Can't see it.
Should the St. Louis Cardinals go after Jake Odorizzi?

Steve Adams
I find the price tag on Odorizzi reasonable at $39-45M over three years, and I think he'd be an upgrade for most teams in the league. You could swap out the Cardinals for pretty much any quasi-contender, and I'd say "Yeah, I think that makes sense."
Do you see any expansion happening in the next 5 years?

Steve Adams
I don't think that quickly, no. It'll need to be collectively bargained and I don't think expansion will be anywhere near the top of their priority list this time around.
I understand wanting to have payroll flexibility, but doesn't roster stability have some merit as well? Or am I too old school for today's environment? (If so, get off my lawn!! LOL)

Steve Adams
I don't think today's front offices value stability as much as they did even 10 years ago, and most fans have generally come to be ok with turnover. It does lead to more excitement on the hot stove front, I suppose, which helps get through the long winters without MLB.
Isn't it true that defense isn't as important as it once was because of the fewer balls that are hit into play?

Steve Adams
I can see arguing for that. I can also see arguing that with the increased home run output, it's also more valuable to convert as many balls in play as possible to outs. I haven't seen the numbers on that run, but it'd be interesting to look through.

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't understand how players like Gyorko and Puig have not been signed yet.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 4 21, 8:08 am
I don't understand how players like Gyorko and Puig have not been signed yet.
Or Cespedes.