Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on March 13.

I also included 1 bonus Q&A about the upcoming CBA negotiations.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-10135.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Did the Pirates sign Cahill to be a depth guy or part of the opening day rotation?

Mark Polishuk
Cahill might need a bit of a time to get fully prepped since he only just joined a spring camp, so the Bucs could use him as a reliever/swingman early before building him up into a proper starter.
What would you do if you were the Cards' GM? Pitching?

Mark Polishuk
Yeah, seems like it, with both Kim and Mikolas hurting.
Who has more HR's, Arenado or Goldy?

Mark Polishuk

More homers in 2021?

Arenado (62.2% | 572 votes)

Goldschmidt (37.8% | 347 votes)

Total Votes: 919
Am I crazy thinking the Reds did the right thing this off season by not tying up a lot of money in anticipation of next year’s FA class?

Mark Polishuk
It's not like they exactly have a ton of money coming off the books next winter --- Miley, Barnhart, Lorenzen for just under $17MM.

Plus, there's still the matter of the 2021 season, which you'd think the Reds would want a piece of given how much they spent prior to 2020.
If Carpenter won't get playing time in STL and the Cardinals pay his salary (a la Fowler), is there a team that would make sense for him to be traded to?

Mark Polishuk
Carpenter has a no-trade clause, so I'd guess he would only waive it to join a contending team. On the top of my head, I'm not sure what contender could really have a role for a guy who has struggled for two years straight.
What are the chances of the Cardinals acquiring Pujols at the deadline and having Wainwright, Molina, and Pujols all retire at season’s end?

Mark Polishuk
Realistically, what are the odds that Pujols is playing well enough to merit a midseason acquisition? And where would St. Louis play him?
Would the Padres be good enough to win the NL west if they were to trade for Josh Hader?

Mark Polishuk
They're arguably good enough to win the division even as presently constructed, so Hader could certainly be a deciding factor.
Best defensive lineup in recent memory and plenty of pop. Are the Brewers the team to beat in the Central?

Mark Polishuk
I like what Milwaukee did this winter, Wong/JBJ is a major defensive upgrade. Whether it's enough to win the Central remains to be seen, but the Brewers have had a tendency to overachieve.
Will the Cubs ever be good again? They're so old and expensive.

Mark Polishuk
It's not like the Cubs were "bad" last year. They still made the playoffs, after all, and I wouldn't even be shocked if they made it again this season.

The problem is that the Cubs have settled for being "good" the last few years when they've had some clear needs on their team, but also enough talent to be Series contenders if those needs had been filled.
What do you expect to come from the next round of CBA negotiations? I'm nervous!

Mark Polishuk
Being cynical/realistic, I think there's a better than 50-50 chance of a work stoppage.

As to what the eventual next deal will look like, who knows. The players want to overhaul so much of the current system, the owners will want to save their money and protect their gains from the last CBA talks, there's the pandemic still existing a a consideration.....it's all up in the air.

Tags: