Cardinals getting vaccinated

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Cardinals getting vaccinated

Post by CardsofSTL »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 30 21, 4:52 pm
Only takes 5 players from a 30 man roster (do they still have expanded rosters this season? I haven't paid enough attention) to not reach 85%. Not too hard to find 10 hardcore GOP'ers on any given team, half of whom refuse to get vaccinated.
26 players, plus staff

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Popeye_Card wrote:
Only takes 5 players from a 30 man roster (do they still have expanded rosters this season? I haven't paid enough attention) to not reach 85%. Not too hard to find 10 hardcore GOP'ers on any given team, half of whom refuse to get vaccinated.
Well considering that a lot of players last season got COVID they might already have a good amount of antibodies in their system that a vaccine for them is unnecessary.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 30 21, 5:01 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
26 players, plus staff
Ok, well let’s call it 40 on the high end including staff. Would only need to find 6 not willing to get it. Given that baseball teams likely skew a bit conservative, it would not be too hard to get there for most teams.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 30 21, 6:31 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
March 30 21, 5:01 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
26 players, plus staff
Ok, well let’s call it 40 on the high end including staff. Would only need to find 6 not willing to get it. Given that baseball teams likely skew a bit conservative, it would not be too hard to get there for most teams.
True. Could be difficult for many teams as long as it's voluntary.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Why didn’t they do this sooner than right before opening day?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote:
March 31 21, 7:07 am
Supply? I would have to think 20-something athletes were not high on the priority list for the vaccinations; unless they had underlying medical conditions (Jordan Hicks for example).

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Radbird wrote:
March 31 21, 7:07 am
My guess is optics. A number of states only opened vaccination up to all ages this week. It would've looked bad to announce player vaccinations before now. I'll go a step further: Many players were vaccinated quietly weeks or months ago. In a ruthlessly competitive field where one injury or down season might mean the difference between a starting job and a multi-million dollar payday and going back to stocking groceries, why would a player not get vaccinated as soon as possible?

Same incentives are there from the owner's angle - you've committed something like $200 mil in salary to 40 humans this year alone, your entire product is based on the physical talents of those humans, and as of 4 months ago there's a magic shot that makes it incredibly unlikely those humans will miss time and performance from a pandemic? The teams no doubt have quietly encouraged vaccinations.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

obucard wrote:
March 31 21, 2:08 pm
mmm love those loosened protocols.

Jocephus