4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Post Reply
User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29439
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image

Image

Cardinals @ Reds
12:10 PM CT - April 4, 2021
Great American Ballpark - Cincinnati, OH
Listen: Cardinals KMOX 1120 - Reds WLW 700
Watch: Cardinals BSMW - Reds BSO

Image Image

Tags:

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29439
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image

Image

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29439
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image
Paul DeJong has an affinity for the start of the season. With a two-homer day against the Reds on Saturday, he made it four consecutive years in which he has left the yard during the opening series. The streak started with a homer in the third game of his first full season in 2018 -- against the Mets in New York -- and has continued every inaugural series since.

What's more, though it didn't come amid the start to the Cardinals' season, DeJong homered in the first Major League series of his career on May 28, 2017, in Colorado. It was merely his first career at-bat, to boot.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29439
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image
The Reds and Cardinals have feuded a few times over the years and renewed that part of their rivalry with an extended benches-clearing scuffle in the fourth inning Saturday.

“I mean, look, I wore [92 mph] in the ribs. That don’t exactly feel good, you know?” Castellanos said. “I asked Yadi if it was an accident. He said, ‘Of course, it’s an accident.' Alright, Yadi is a dude, Yadi is a boss. Alright, I give him the benefit of the doubt. Alright, it’s an accident. I take my stuff off. I even asked the pitcher if he wanted the ball back. … I go to first and the only thing I’m thinking about is scoring.”

Woodford noted that the pitch was unintentional.

“Sinker got away from me. I'm just out there trying to go out there and do my job,” Woodford said. “I was just confused, honestly. There was nothing intentional from my [end]; I'm not out there trying to hurt anybody or throw at anybody.”

St. Louis did not like Castellanos' offering of the ball back to their pitcher.

"The baseball is really hard. And I think it got a rib and probably ticked him off,” said Cardinals starting pitcher Adam Wainwright, who was replaced by Woodford. "You never offer the ball back to the pitcher though, that's tired. He should know better than that."

During the second scuffle, Castellanos and Molina remained in the infield talking.

Castellanos declined to elaborate on the conversation.

“That’s between me and Yadi. Like I said, yo, that guy could have punched me in the face, I’d still ask him for a signed jersey,” Castellanos said. “I’ve got nothing but respect for that cat, bro. He’s a real one. He said his peace. And I listened. That’s it.”

Castellanos was the only player ejected from the game. He was replaced by Aristides Aquino in the top of the fifth. Umpire crew chief Jim Reynolds explained was he the only player ejected.

“Because we felt that he -- after sliding into home -- re-engaged the pitcher in unnecessary fashion. And that’s why he was ejected,” Reynolds said.

Molina made contact with home-plate umpire Tony Randazzo before shoving Castellanos.

“Because sometimes contact happens between players and umpires that is not aggressive,” Reynolds said. “That is why he was not ejected.”

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29439
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image

User avatar
SunnyJim
AA Minor League Player
Posts: 44
Joined: December 25 20, 4:03 pm

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by SunnyJim »

Will Martinez give up more runs than innings he pitches today?

Or, will he go 5 or 6?

User avatar
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 59316
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by Jocephus »

and will people be on edge after yesterday

User avatar
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 59316
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by Jocephus »

The Cincinnati Reds are 1-1 at home this season and are solid favorites to beat the St. Louis Cardinals who are 1-1 on the road this season. The Reds have a better than 55% chance of winning based on 10,000 game simulations generated one play at a time by the AccuScore Simulation Supercomputer. Reds\' starter Jeff Hoffman is forecasted to have a better game than Cardinals\' starter Carlos Martinez. Jeff Hoffman has a 22% chance of having a Quality Start (QS) while Carlos Martinez has a 12% chance of a QS. If Jeff Hoffman has a quality start the Reds has a 78% chance of winning. His simulated strikeout to walk ratio is 4 and he has a 35% chance of having a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio. When he has a 5/1 ratio the Reds win 61%. In Carlos Martinez quality starts the Cardinals win 69%. He has a 31% chance of having a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio and if he does his team wins 69% of simulations. In simulations we tracked the batter for each team that was most productive based his average hits, walks and RBI per simulation. The most productive batter for the Cincinnati Reds is Jonathan India who averaged 5.32 hits+walks+RBI. He has a 100% chance of having a big game with 3+ Hits, Walks, RBI and if he has a big game the Reds have a 59% chance of winning. The most productive batter for the St. Louis Cardinals is Nolan Arenado who averaged 3.05 hits+walks+RBI. He has a 53% chance of having a big game with 3+ Hits, Walks, RBI and if he has a big game the Cardinals have a 52% chance of winning.

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18663
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

SunnyJim wrote:
April 4 21, 10:42 am
Will Martinez give up more runs than innings he pitches today?

Or, will he go 5 or 6?
I'm gonna get on the hate train and say, yes, more runs than innings and he doesn't get out of the 2nd.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12913
Joined: June 16 07, 2:12 pm

Re: 4/4 GDT: Cardinals(Martinez)@Reds(Hoffman) 12:10 PM CT

Post by Magneto2.0 »

This umpire is awful, Hoffman had at least two strikes called for balls

Post Reply