Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on April 6. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.) I missed last week's because I was too busy.

Only an hour chat, so not much content this week.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... 10347.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Do you see the Arcia trade being beneficial to both sides?

Steve Adams
I was surprised to see the Braves thinning out the bullpen depth for a bench option who may not be a marked upgrade over their in-house options. It's not like Weigel and Sobotka are exactly key pieces or anything, but especially with Martin already dinged up and Touki on the shelf, I was mildly surprised they parted with a pair of 40-man 'pen options.
Pittsburgh closer? When the music stops who doesn’t have a chair? Is Bedaed of Padres (via Musgrave trade) going to be the one to close?

Steve Adams
Richard Rodriguez.

Unless you're asking after Rodriguez gets traded, which seems quite likely. At that point, yeah Bednar could be in the mix, but it'll be dependent on performance of all the other guys. Stratton, Crick could be in the mix.
Surely the Reds could have scraped up something comparable to acquire Arcia!!!

Steve Adams
Probably, but Arcia has nearly 2000 MLB plate appearances and hasn't been good at all to date. They probably prefer the Suarez/Moose/India gambit, even if the defensive returns seem destined to be poor.
I know Luis Urias is only 23 years old but there's gotta be something hiding in that bat, right? I know injury and COVID stalled him last season, but do you think he has the tools and just needs a boost of confidence?

Steve Adams
Urias was one of the top-ranked hitting prospects in the game with San Diego, though the Padres never seemed to love him as much as the rest of the industry and didn't ever give him a fair shake. I think he has it in him to hit enough to be a big league regular. Shortstop probably isn't the best position for him, though.

Tags: