4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Post Reply
User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29746
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image

Image

Image

Cardinals @ Marlins
3:10 PM CT - April 7, 2021
loanDepot park - Miami, FL
Watch: Cardinals BSMW - Marlins BSF
Listen: Cardinals KMOX 1120 AM - Marlins 940 AM WINZ - MLBN (out of market)

Image

Image

Tags:

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29746
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image

Image

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29746
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

In baseball's version of the trick shot, Cardinals left fielder Tyler O'Neill achieved quite the feat during St. Louis' 4-2 win Tuesday night at loanDepot park.

In his second-inning at-bat, O'Neill took a big cut at Marlins right-hander Sandy Alcantara's second pitch of the at-bat -- an 89.8 mph slider -- and fouled it back, shattering the lens of the home-plate camera in the process.

But the quirky situation didn't end there. Home-plate umpire Jerry Layne went on to ask if there was someone to clean up the glass. Because COVID-19 protocols don't allow Tier 3 individuals on the field, Bally Sports Florida's technical crew couldn't take care of the mess. Two batboys -- one with a shovel and another with a broom -- swept the shards of glass off the track and the wall that used to house the Marlins' fish tanks. Play was delayed a few minutes.

Both Bally Sports Florida's and Bally Sports Midwest's broadcast teams estimated the cost of the equipment, with St. Louis' crew saying it was a $20,000-$25,000 camera and a $15,000 lens.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29746
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29746
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Image

After pitching four innings on Tuesday, five years to the day since his MLB debut, John Gant extended his streak of homerless innings to 39 1/3, a mark dating back to the 2019 season. By the final pitch of his outing, Gant trailed only the Rockies' Germán Márquez at 39 2/3 innings, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. But Márquez, who also pitched on Tuesday, gave up a homer to the D-backs, handing Gant the longest active steak in the Majors, tied with the Yankees' Zack Britton (39 1/3 innings), who's on the injured list, and ahead of the Rays' Ryan Yarbrough (35 1/3). "Is John Gant good at baseball?" That's for Twitter to decide. But he's very good at limiting home runs, at the very least.

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18672
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Got the broom ready.

User avatar
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 59354
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by Jocephus »

The Miami Marlins are 1-4 at home this season and the St. Louis Cardinals are 3-2 on the road this season. This is a close match-up with both teams having a 45 to 55 percent chance of winning based on 10,000 game simulations generated one play at a time by the AccuScore Simulation Supercomputer. Both starters have a relatively low chance of having a quality start. Pablo Lopez has a 37% chance of a QS and Jack Flaherty a 32% chance. If Pablo Lopez has a quality start the Marlins has a 66% chance of winning. His simulated strikeout to walk ratio is 3 and he has a 24% chance of having a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio. When he has a 5/1 ratio the Marlins win 57%. If Jack Flaherty has a quality start the Cardinals has a 69% chance of winning. His simulated strikeout to walk ratio is 5.3 and he has a 42% chance of having a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio. When he has a 5/1 ratio the Cardinals win 52%. In simulations we tracked the batter for each team that was most productive based his average hits, walks and RBI per simulation. The most productive batter for the Miami Marlins is Starling Marte who averaged 2.49 hits+walks+RBI. He has a 44% chance of having a big game with 3+ Hits, Walks, RBI and if he has a big game the Marlins have a 56% chance of winning. The most productive batter for the St. Louis Cardinals is Nolan Arenado who averaged 2.88 hits+walks+RBI. He has a 51% chance of having a big game with 3+ Hits, Walks, RBI and if he has a big game the Cardinals have a 63% chance of winning.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 29746
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

The A.S.S. is less bullish on Flaherty's chances than it was on Gant.

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 36880
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by heyzeus »

gotta get that A.S.S. fired up

User avatar
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 59354
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: 4/7 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Marlins(Lopez) 3:10 PM CT

Post by Jocephus »

i just love the idea that there's scientists in a lab with giant computers humming about like from the 50s when computers filled an entire floor and then right as the machine starts smoking from stress it pops out a little card that gives its analysis

or at least, that's how i imagine the a.s.s. institute

Post Reply