4/12 GDT: Nationals(Fedde) vs Cardinals(Gant) 6:45 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: 4/12 GDT: Nationals(Fedde) vs Cardinals(Gant) 6:45 PM CT

Post by dmarx114 »

Offense had chances. Only got one clutch hit.

Pitching needs to be better.

Tags:

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

This team is actually worse than I feared it would be. Their BaseRuns record is 3-7, so even the 5-5 is a facade.

Not sure what they expected by having a rotation that includes an ancient Waino, a rapidly career flailing Carlos Martinez, Daniel Ponce de Leon, and John Gant. Yes, they did expect Kim and Mikolas in the rotation, but both of those guys have major question marks as well.

I continue to believe ownership saw this as a reset year. Get through the year with spending as little as possible, get Carlos, Marp, Waino, Molina, Miller, Fowler, Cecil off the books and then assess after seeing the young players all season.

It's why I've been griping all offseason because it was clear they weren't trying to contend.

phins

Post by phins »

It doesn't help when your manager makes the completely unacceptable decision to let the pitcher hit after he's given you a lucky 5 innings and give away an out in a tie game. That move netted you exactly zero additional outs on the mound and most assuredly cost them the game.

Though if you can't score runs off Erick Fedde, you aren't winning any games anyway.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

phins

Post by phins »

At least Shildt owned his really poor decision in the 5th. This looks like the type of season where it'll be win one, lose one a lot of times.

Hope for good Jack tomorrow and some better at-bats.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

dmarx114 wrote:
April 12 21, 7:33 pm
Shildt was so desperate for length out of a starting pitcher that he ended up throwing away this game.

Very poor job managing.
Just like I said when it happened, Shildt made his decision to stick with Gant to get length out of starters.

Nice to see him own his mistake, but it probably cost us this game and burned Gallegos today as well.