All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 4/13 GDT: Nationals(Strasburg) vs Cardinals(Flaherty) 6:45 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The Cards Legend that is The Big Nogowski
The video is grainy and its exact origins hazy. John Nogowski, walking up the steps of Lewis and Clark Park, looks “not too sure of himself,” according to his manager at the time. He had just been released by the A's after three years in the organization and had signed with the Sioux City Explorers of the independent American Association for part of the 2017 season. Major League dreams dashed for the moment, self-doubt would be logical.

As he approaches the playing surface, his new canvas, Nogowski turns back to his father, John Sr., shadowing him with the camera rolling. Nogowski reaches the top step and locks eyes with the field for the first time. He exerts a show of confidence -- one he's needed to hold present his entire career -- barely audible over the 18-wheelers on US Route 20 roaring in the backdrop.

“Can hit here,” Nogowski says. Then the home video cuts out.

Nogowski could certainly hit there. He slashed .402/.482/.607 in 34 games for the Explorers.

“To be honest with you,” Steve Montgomery, manager of the Explorers, said recently, “he's not stopped hitting since.”

Now, four years after playing independent baseball, after three years in the Cardinals’ Minor League system and one year after he made a one-game Major League debut, Nogowski, 28, has hit his way into his first sustained taste of The Show with St. Louis. From the roster periphery, the first baseman “elbowed his way onto the team,” as manager Mike Shildt described it, via a torrid Spring Training that showcased a knack of hitting he always held, but one he needed to rediscover.

“That’s been kind of my mindset my whole career -- I've taken every single at bat like it's kind of my last at-bat,” Nogowski said. “I didn't have the luxury of saying, ‘Hey, I'm going to get 500 [at-bats] this year, and I can take a couple off.’ I had to grind out every one.”

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

All the Cardinals have to do tonight is have their offense turn it on vs Strasburg. Should be pretty simple.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Like so many other examples coming out of spring, we are going to waste Big Nog's mojo coming out of camp. Could've spelled Goldy and gotten 4 ABs. Going with Dean in late ph spots. Write all the good feelings articles you want, they're fluff. If you didn't take advantage when the iron was hot, you lost out. Nogs didn't look near as comfortable last night; good month of baseball slipping away.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I would like to win a baseball game.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

More like AIR-enado amirite

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Jack will always give up at least one HR a game so I hope it's just a solo shot.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The Washington Nationals are 1-3 on the road this season and are heavy favorites to beat the St. Louis Cardinals who are 1-3 at home. The Nationals have a better than 55% chance of winning based on 10,000 game simulations generated one play at a time by the AccuScore Simulation Supercomputer. Both starters have a relatively low chance of having a quality start. Jack Flaherty has a 34% chance of a QS and Stephen Strasburg a 36% chance. If Jack Flaherty has a quality start the Cardinals has a 65% chance of winning. His simulated strikeout to walk ratio is 3.6 and he has a 23% chance of having a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio. When he has a 5/1 ratio the Cardinals win 46%. If Stephen Strasburg has a quality start the Nationals has a 69% chance of winning. His simulated strikeout to walk ratio is 4.7 and he has a 36% chance of having a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio. When he has a 5/1 ratio the Nationals win 62%. In simulations we tracked the batter for each team that was most productive based his average hits, walks and RBI per simulation. The most productive batter for the St. Louis Cardinals is Nolan Arenado who averaged 2.31 hits+walks+RBI. He has a 38% chance of having a big game with 3+ Hits, Walks, RBI and if he has a big game the Cardinals have a 60% chance of winning. The most productive batter for the Washington Nationals is Juan Soto who averaged 2.81 hits+walks+RBI. He has a 51% chance of having a big game with 3+ Hits, Walks, RBI and if he has a big game the Nationals have a 68% chance of winning.