Angels have released Albert Pujols (signs w Dodgers pg 16)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Angels have released Albert Pujols (signs w Dodgers pg 16)

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
May 15 21, 8:55 pm
Dodgers also picked up Tsutsugo from the Rays. Odd.
With Seager out they’re already talking Muncy at 2B sometimes now.

They have Bellinger coming back and still need to drop someone to add Pujols to 40 man.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Are the Dodgers waiting until Monday to make the Pujols thing official?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Trout said he was humiliated everyday to have to play with a guy with Albert's batspeed, wRC+, and fHDP+. He feels like he can finally breath without all the ancient weight around him.

No, not really.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
May 16 21, 8:19 pm
Trout said he was humiliated everyday to have to play with a guy with Albert's batspeed, wRC+, and fHDP+. He feels like he can finally breath without all the ancient weight around him.

No, not really.
behind a pay wall - can you quote some?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
May 16 21, 9:38 pm
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
May 16 21, 8:19 pm

No, not really.
behind a pay wall - can you quote some?

“Do you know if anything happened to Albert?” Trout remembered Cishek asking him. “He’s hugging some teammates.”

Trout soon learned what the rest of the baseball world would find out a day later. In a surprise move, the Angels were releasing Albert Pujols. After 10 seasons together, Trout and Pujols would be teammates no more.

“We were all surprised when it happened,” Trout said. “You know, it hit me a little bit — it hit me a lot. Ever since I’ve been up here, he’s been my guy. He mentored me throughout my career so far.”

Trout later added: “I went out there and I broke down a little bit. Just knowing that, he’s been here for the whole time I’ve been here, and how it can be gone just like that. It was tough."

“Everything you can accomplish, on a baseball field, he’s done,” Trout said. “I can go up to him and talk about anything. If I was struggling at the plate, he knows the perfect time to come up and throw something out. He has that feel. I can’t thank him enough. He was an unbelievable person and unbelievable friend to me.”

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Curious as to how much more $$$ Albert will get from the Dodgers. With all the backloading on his 2011 contract, this may be the most expensive annual salary per unit of production for decades.

OmahaCard79
Veteran Player

Post by OmahaCard79 »

AdmiralKird wrote:
May 17 21, 3:09 am
Curious as to how much more $$$ Albert will get from the Dodgers. With all the backloading on his 2011 contract, this may be the most expensive annual salary per unit of production for decades.
I don't know that he'll get anything more. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what I've read, but won't the Dodgers just pay him league minimum? Isn't that then an offset from the Angels contract, or is that extra earned income because it's a new contract?

In any event, this turn of events pleases me. My ideal solution would have been a reunion in St. Louis. If that couldn't happen, the Dodgers are a solid choice. Gives him one last chance at the playoffs, probably. And, it makes the Angels failure complete. My joy in knowing that the Angels are essentially paying him to play for their biggest rival makes that contract even more delicious. They got everything they deserved from that deal...and then some.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

This feels more wrong than Edmonds joining the Cubs.

OmahaCard79
Veteran Player

Post by OmahaCard79 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
May 17 21, 9:17 am
This feels more wrong than Edmonds joining the Cubs.
I'm sure the Cardinals could have had him if they really wanted. Doesn't seem like they wanted.