Angels have released Albert Pujols (signs w Dodgers pg 16)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: Angels have released Albert Pujols

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

After watching the Braves game tonight, maybe having a guy who swings for the fences and makes contact has value in a pinch...

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Schlich wrote:
May 8 21, 9:39 pm
Never gets old.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

so, so good

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

It belongs in the Louvre. Imagine the confused European tourists.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

How Albert Pujols'' Final Hours With Angels Turned Ugly.
It was one of the most awkward, uncomfortable and ugly good-byes in this generation of baseball immortals.

We’re talking about Albert Pujols.

He woke up Wednesday morning, having already been told he’d be in the starting lineup that night for the Los Angeles Angels against the Tampa Bay Rays.

By the time the day was over, Pujols was yelling at manager Joe Maddon, telling president John Carpino and GM Perry Minasian that he wasn’t going to retire, insisting he did not want to spend the rest of the season on the bench and blasting Maddon’s managerial skills, according to two people with direct knowledge of the day's events who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature the details.

The next day, it was officially over.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
May 9 21, 8:05 am
How Albert Pujols'' Final Hours With Angels Turned Ugly.
It was one of the most awkward, uncomfortable and ugly good-byes in this generation of baseball immortals.

We’re talking about Albert Pujols.

He woke up Wednesday morning, having already been told he’d be in the starting lineup that night for the Los Angeles Angels against the Tampa Bay Rays.

By the time the day was over, Pujols was yelling at manager Joe Maddon, telling president John Carpino and GM Perry Minasian that he wasn’t going to retire, insisting he did not want to spend the rest of the season on the bench and blasting Maddon’s managerial skills, according to two people with direct knowledge of the day's events who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature the details.

The next day, it was officially over.
This is the second source I have seen where Maddon told him he would be in the lineup and then he wasn't. I think that was probably what really set it off. No one likes to be [expletive]. If Maddon changed his mind (or had his mind changed for him by his superiors) the right thing would have been to reach out to Albert and say hey; this is what's going down.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Now I'm intrigued how that 10-year personal services contract will play out with this ugly split and whisper campaign in the press.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

There’s no way a personal services contract will work given how this went down. They’ll probably just pay him and say have a nice life.

I don’t care how bad he has become, he is an all-time legend of the game and deserved to be treated accordingly.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Here's a subsequent report from the Los Angeles Times about Pujols' release. Here, Joe Maddon claims that there was no confrontation between Pujols and the Angels.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/s ... ls-release

OmahaCard79
Veteran Player

Post by OmahaCard79 »

heyzeus wrote:
May 8 21, 8:44 am
There’s no team in baseball that would make him their starting DH, and there’s even more definitely no NL team that would have him start at first. He’s going to have to go through a difficult realignment of expectations to reality.
This is exactly right. I sincerely think Pujols thought there was no way the Angels would even consider releasing him in the final year of his contract, that he'd earned that "respect." He was wrong and he's seeing that it was always purely business with the Angels. He's going to have to re-orient his thinking.

He may want to play every day, but who would give him that everyday role? Texas? KC? Seattle? Baltimore? Outside of something like KC and reuniting with Matheny in a town he's familiar with, would he want to ride out the season on a last place team? Or, does the idea of ending it where it all began and going out with some fanfare and good memories with St. Louis sound better.

And, I've heard some people say he's chasing records. Everyone, including Albert has to know that 700 home runs isn't happening. He'd have to finish at about 682 this year and then have another 18 home run season in 2022. Not happening. Beyond that, there are no major milestones to hit other than getting about 67 more hits which would put him in the top 10 to round out his career. He could probably do that with a number of roles.

It just depends what he envisions, but I think he'll come to his senses and realize that the everyday role isn't in the cards anymore.