Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: 5/9 GDT: Rockies(Marquez) vs Cardinals(Wainwright) 1:15 PM CT

Post by Radbird »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 10 21, 1:15 pm
Radbird wrote:
May 10 21, 12:32 pm
I’m doubtful that a Rockies version of GRB even exists.

People love going to Coors more than whoever is wearing the uniform. I’ve been to many games and there is always a significant contingent of fans for the visiting teams. The Front Range is booming and folks bring their team loyalties with them. And frankly, Denver is first and foremost a football town. The lead story on the nightly sports report is already the Broncos.
Theyre' still one of the better valued franchises in baseball. Lots of money to be had in that market. They need to right that ship.

Agree that they have a lot of the "third team" cap issues that I see Seattle dealing with too. It's like when there's Mariners vs. Red Sox and there's transplants all over in Dodgers or Cardinals hats. It's...how it goes in these cities with struggling-yearly teams.
I think the Rockies will always draw well as long as they put a team on the field with a few stars that lurks on the fringes of contention. Coors Field is in the LoDo neighborhood which has a lively bar and restaurant scene. I don’t know much about Seattle other than it is experiencing growth akin to Denver - is the ballpark located in a similar area?

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Radbird wrote:
May 10 21, 6:24 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Radbird wrote:

People love going to Coors more than whoever is wearing the uniform. I’ve been to many games and there is always a significant contingent of fans for the visiting teams. The Front Range is booming and folks bring their team loyalties with them. And frankly, Denver is first and foremost a football town. The lead story on the nightly sports report is already the Broncos.
Theyre' still one of the better valued franchises in baseball. Lots of money to be had in that market. They need to right that ship.

Agree that they have a lot of the "third team" cap issues that I see Seattle dealing with too. It's like when there's Mariners vs. Red Sox and there's transplants all over in Dodgers or Cardinals hats. It's...how it goes in these cities with struggling-yearly teams.
I think the Rockies will always draw well as long as they put a team on the field with a few stars that lurks on the fringes of contention. Coors Field is in the LoDo neighborhood which has a lively bar and restaurant scene. I don’t know much about Seattle other than it is experiencing growth akin to Denver - is the ballpark located in a similar area?
Ballpark is in SoDo (South of Downtown) and is in an okay area but not vibrant like Cap Hill or Ballard or Belltown. It's in Pioneer Square/train station area and semi-industrial. But it's a big sports bar section of town because of Seahawks and Mariners stadiums. Not super vibrant beyond that and a handful of bars/clubs. Good Chinatown food down there too.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 11 21, 10:44 am
Radbird wrote:
May 10 21, 6:24 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Radbird wrote:

Ballpark is in SoDo (South of Downtown) and is in an okay area but not vibrant like Cap Hill or Ballard or Belltown. It's in Pioneer Square/train station area and semi-industrial. But it's a big sports bar section of town because of Seahawks and Mariners stadiums. Not super vibrant beyond that and a handful of bars/clubs. Good Chinatown food down there too.
Grand Central Bakery is not far from the stadium and it is awesome by the way. There are several good restaurants close by. But it does seem kind of distant from most of the city life.