5/10/21 Off Day Thread - Are We Good?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

5/10/21 Off Day Thread - Are We Good?

Post by heyzeus »

So here we are, May 10. Cards are 21-14 with a two game lead in the central, and somehow - by a half game - holders of the best record in the National League. They're only bested in all of baseball by...the Red Sox? None of this is can be right.

It doesn't hurt that we just came off a big home stand. 14 of our last 17 games at home, over which we were 13-4.

So what's going right?

-Starting pitching has turned it around since the early rocky stretch. Gant, Kim, and Flaherty have excellent ERA+. Wainwright is eating innings and, other than a few clunkers, doing quite well. The new pitch-to-contact version of Cmart has had mixed results, but on the whole fine. Kim returned and banished Ponce Deleon to the land of wind and ghosts.

-Over in the bullpen, it's concerning that we're leaning so hard on Gallegos and Reyes - the latter of which has a 0.53 ERA and 4.81 xFIP, so that ain't sustainable. Cabrera and Helsley have been fine. Hicks going down long term is a big worry. Tyler Webb is not acceptable. We need more than 4 quality relievers, so either a trade or a callup has to happen.

-Getting Bader and O'Neill back is huge. The OF situation beyond Carlson has been a mixed back of injury and suck. Bader isn't going to carry an .887 OPS all year, but Cards fans routinely undervalue what he brings (stellar defense and average hitting).

-22 year old Dylan Carlson is making the leap. He's drawing walks, too. Doesn't look as fooled on breaking stuff.

-A bit worrisome about Goldy and his .684 OPS. His slugging percentage is sliding year to year, which shouldn't be surprising for a 33 year old but is not awesome.

Arenado is on pace for over 6 WAR. He is who we thought he was. Basically it's the trade that makes up for other glaring holes left over the offseason. He is good and it's almost unfair we have him but *shrug* he's ours no givebacks.

-Yadier Molina. I don't even know what to say. No, he won't finish out with a 1.000 OPS. But damn, he's good - still. And there's no way he's retiring at the end of this season.

-The rest of the NL Central really is a black hole of suck. Sure looks like Yelich is having another lost season, which spells general doom for the Brewers, even with the emergence of a terrifying pitching staff over there.

Tags:

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: 5/10/21 Off Day Thread - Are We Good?

Post by Famous Mortimer »

It's been weirdly good recently. As someone who's as negative as anyone when things are going badly, it's important to recognise and enjoy when things are going well. Perhaps it's just because I'm listening to the away team feed on all the games, and I'm not constantly irritated by whoever is in the booth with Dan.

Carlson is looking legit, and it's wonderful. He keeps this up, he's got to be in strong contention for ROY.

Arenado already feels like he's been here forever. I think he'll enjoy being in a baseball town, and I'm very much enjoying watching him do his thing.

Yadi has been a beast at the plate. My cat (Yadier Meow-lina) is currently sick, though, so his fate is tied into how much I care about Yadi (the ballplayer).

I do wonder what's happening with Goldschmidt, though. While I was as happy as anyone the Cardinals got him, he's definitely not the same guy. Perhaps age is just hitting him harder than expected, or perhaps this is just another small slump. Still, the time to slump is when the rest of the team are covering for you, I guess.

Bullpen is tough, I agree. But if anyone could predict bullpen performance they'd be winning the WS every year.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I think it has been very helpful to have played the two worst teams in the NL (Rockies and Pirates), and a Cinci team that's been crashing back down to their talent level.

I wouldn't say we are "good", but we are slightly better than mediocre. In a league where the majority of the teams look pretty mediocre (save the Dodgers and Padres), that can be OK.

If we get to the point where more and more fans can attend games, the Cardinals may be in a good cash position come July to add the talent that could compete with the Dodgers and Padres. How much better would our roster look if we could swing a trade for Scherzer, a better lefty for the bullpen, and perhaps a LH OF?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Looks like Goldschmidt has had some months like this in the past few years, but I'm sure age isn't helping.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I still worry about our pitching over the course of a whole season. But I'm pleased with the overall results so far!

It was good to see Goldy mashing the other day. Maybe he has figured something out, or got some of his mojo back?? We'll see. I'd LOVE to see him go on a prolonged tear!

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

I'm currently wildly optimistic, but will surely swing to doom and gloom at some point in typical GRB fashion. Current dream scenario as follows:

Cardinals continue to pull away in the central with a combination of young players putting it all together and old players staving off decline for one more year. Due to this fortunate timing of contributions, the team goes all in at the deadline to trade for . . . Max Scherzer, who uses his no-trade muscle to force the non-contending Nats to deal him to his hometown team. Max Shines in the postseason, helped by at least one magical moment from late season roster addition . . . Albert Pujols, and the Cardinals pick up another palindrome World Series title by winning:

"One-Two in Two-One!"

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

In the last 12 games against the Marlins, Pirates, Reds, and Rockies, we are 12-0.

9-14 in all other games.

Very encouraging to beat up on the bad teams. That's how divisions are won.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
May 10 21, 8:52 am
My cat (Yadier Meow-lina)
This needs to be recognized. I see you. (and also, hope your cat recovers)

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Pitching is a concern. The K/BB ratio of guys who look good if you're delusional enough to think ERA matters without the dark cloud of FIP is concerning. I'm talking Gant, Reyes, Cabrera, and Helsley. Gant and Reyes specifically will have their "reckoning." Can Andrew Miller come back and be effective? Can we finally move on from Webb with the addition of Flores?

Just too many questions with the piecemealed staff. Who is the real Oviedo? When will Gant crater? Do love me some Pitch-to-contact Martinez. And what is the deal with Hicks? Kind of need him over the long haul and come September/October.

I think the team batting is okay-to-good. Not great though. Upper half of league in hitting. With addition of Arenado in the lineup and Carlson and Yadi and Edman having consistent contact, helps a lot as far as anchoring the team offense. Goldy will come around, even if he hits the age cliff. All the contact from the guys just mentioned means you can ride out the ebbs and flows of good/bad with O'Neill, DeJong, and Bader.

For later in the year, I would love it if Liberatore and/or Thompson came up at some point. If they're ready. Would love Mikolas to provide some depth so maybe Oviedo could be a good pen piece. Would love a Jocketty-era deadline deal if we're hovering first in late July. Scherzer come on down. And we do need another reliable bench bat. Ready for the Nogo era to start. Get him some PAs.

Jayramball04
All-Star

Post by Jayramball04 »

13-4 last 17 games with 2 game lead. impressive, next 2 series against brewers for 3 and padres for 3, i would take 3-3 right now, but 4-2 would be great, 2-4 will not kill us.... lfg