5/10/21 Off Day Thread - Are We Good?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: 5/10/21 Off Day Thread - Are We Good?

Post by heyzeus »

Sooooooo Cards just announced Hicks is shut down for at least 6 weeks. Had to have some sort of injection in his elbow. Good chance we don't see him again until after the all star break at the earliest.

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I think we are good. But could be great with another front of the line starter in the rotation.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

The tags on this post are good. Nay, great. I believe Moxie would say this team is not good, and he would document the myriad of reasons why that was so.
Last edited by Donnie Ebert on May 10 21, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 10 21, 10:20 am
Pitching is a concern. The K/BB ratio of guys who look good if you're delusional enough to think ERA matters without the dark cloud of FIP is concerning. I'm talking Gant, Reyes, Cabrera, and Helsley. Gant and Reyes specifically will have their "reckoning." Can Andrew Miller come back and be effective? Can we finally move on from Webb with the addition of Flores?

Just too many questions with the piecemealed staff. Who is the real Oviedo? When will Gant crater? Do love me some Pitch-to-contact Martinez. And what is the deal with Hicks? Kind of need him over the long haul and come September/October.

I think the team batting is okay-to-good. Not great though. Upper half of league in hitting. With addition of Arenado in the lineup and Carlson and Yadi and Edman having consistent contact, helps a lot as far as anchoring the team offense. Goldy will come around, even if he hits the age cliff. All the contact from the guys just mentioned means you can ride out the ebbs and flows of good/bad with O'Neill, DeJong, and Bader.

For later in the year, I would love it if Liberatore and/or Thompson came up at some point. If they're ready. Would love Mikolas to provide some depth so maybe Oviedo could be a good pen piece. Would love a Jocketty-era deadline deal if we're hovering first in late July. Scherzer come on down. And we do need another reliable bench bat. Ready for the Nogo era to start. Get him some PAs.
I would like another frontline starter; but I don't see it happening. The starting rotation is ok. Gant is troubling but he is also number 5 and will be number 6 once Mikolas is back. The real question is what are we going to get out of Mikolas. The bullpen has not been as strong as advertised going into the season. That is partially a health issue; especially with Hicks. But also an effectiveness issue with too many walks and too many Webbs.

I have faith in Goldy putting up good numbers at the end of the season; especially with Arenado behind him. The main thing is that they have to continue to be able to protect Arenado; which with O'Neill and DeJong showing some life is a real possibility. I think the offense is going to score plenty of runs to win most games.

Is Nogo Nolan Gorman or Nogowski? I don't like the idea of Gorman as a bench bat. If he comes up it should be to play.

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

Donnie Ebert wrote:
May 10 21, 1:17 pm

The tags on this post are good. Nay, great. I believe Moxie would say this team is not good, and he would document the myriad of reasons why that was so.
His cat played the oboe, right?

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

SunnyJim wrote:
May 10 21, 1:42 pm
Donnie Ebert wrote:
May 10 21, 1:17 pm

His cat played the oboe, right?
Roscoe? Not chat!

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I still have a lot of concerns about the pitching. I only trust Flaherty, Gallegos, Reyes (to an extent) and Kim. Waino is what he is now. He'll have games like Sunday, and then clunkers every now and again. He's an innings eater/back of the rotation starter, and that's fine, if you have legit arms in the 1-3 slots and unfortunately we only have 1. I still think we need at least 1 more trustworthy starter. Martinez seems okayish, but his lack of Ks are alarming, even if he's not giving up HRs.

I really like the lineup, I do wish O'Neill and DeJong got on base more. They have a lot of holes in their offensive game that they try to make up for it with power, which I'm not sure can last.

Overall, the team is playing great, but I'm still kinda pessimistic.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Damn. I think this means we’re actually bad.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

How much is our defense bailing out pitchers?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

pioneer98 wrote:
May 10 21, 6:41 pm
How much is our defense bailing out pitchers?
SIERA is probably THE pitching stat.

It's a bit concerning that Cards are very bad both as starters and relievers in this category. It feels "rose colored goggles" to just chalk it up as "this stat sucks" or "it's by design." I think the K/BB ratio is concerning.

Bright side: maybe this is the worse the peripherals get and we got lucky that the defense saved their asses while the pitching was on the downswing. Perhaps... Maybe wishful thinking...

Being in Rockies/Tigers/D-Backs area of any team stat isn't good.
CardsofSTL wrote:
May 10 21, 1:18 pm
Is Nogo Nolan Gorman or Nogowski? I don't like the idea of Gorman as a bench bat. If he comes up it should be to play.
Nogo is Nogowski. Nolan Gorman is probably 1.5 to 2 years away. He's got some holes in his game to fix.