Re: Oakland A's Exploring Relocation

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

JoeMcKim wrote:
May 11 21, 3:48 pm
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
May 11 21, 2:17 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 11 21, 2:10 pm
Portland would be cool but it likely won't happen. Mariners would block any move to Portland or Vancouver.

Vegas probably.
Vegas makes no sense for baseball.
Especially now that Vegas has an NFL and NHL team. I don't know if Vegas can support 3 major sports teams. For the NFL you can justify it by take a long weekend vacation to go gambling and see an NFL game. And that would require Vegas to build a 3rd brand new sports stadium/arena in less than 10 years.
Vegas leads minor league attendance by far. https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/09/09/2 ... y-average/ Hockey and football is played a different time of year.

They love baseball there. What are you guys talkin' about? Plus A's current fanbase wouldn't be as far away. Plus delicious gambling money. And they could probably add a terrace to the Summerlin park and another 15k seats in OF and call it good. But even if they need a new stadium I don't think because they built a hockey arena once it means it's impossible. Their arena was 375 million. That's so cheap when football stadiums are like 2-5 billion.

Sacremento might be another dark horse landing spot. Portland A's sounds like "Oakland A's" plus they stay in the west. I like that move the most.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Vegas has been mentioned many times as having potential for expansion; so I don't think it's that far fetched. That's not really the place I would want to go for a ballgame though.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Tokyo.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

CardsofSTL wrote:
May 11 21, 6:03 pm
Vegas has been mentioned many times as having potential for expansion; so I don't think it's that far fetched. That's not really the place I would want to go for a ballgame though.
A dome would obviously be required to play baseball in Vegas, let alone in the summer months. But it would be a total slap in the face if a team had to be a lame duck in Oakland waiting on a stadium being built for their eventual move to Vegas. But it'll suck for NorCal when the A's could've already built a stadium in San Jose if the Giants didn't block it.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

CardsofSTL wrote:
May 11 21, 6:03 pm
A dome would obviously be required to play baseball in Vegas, let alone in the summer months. But it would be a total slap in the face if a team had to be a lame duck in Oakland waiting on a stadium being built for their eventual move to Vegas. But it'll suck for NorCal when the A's could've already built a stadium in San Jose if the Giants didn't block it.

Would this make the A's being the first franchise in major sports to be in 4 different cities? I know that the football Cardinals have been in Chicago, St. Louis and Arizona, the Rams in Cleveland, LA and STL and the Braves in Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

G. Keenan wrote:
May 11 21, 6:04 pm
Tokyo.
Tokyo but have the home field in Hawaii. I read that idea somewhere. Apparently 2 million Japanese visit every year and you split the difference on travel time. It's under 6 hours from LAX.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

JoeMcKim wrote:
May 11 21, 6:26 pm
Would this make the A's being the first franchise in major sports to be in 4 different cities? I know that the football Cardinals have been in Chicago, St. Louis and Arizona, the Rams in Cleveland, LA and STL and the Braves in Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta.
Unless something weird happened pre-1900, I can’t think of a 4-city team.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

obucard wrote:
May 11 21, 4:51 pm
America's Team: 162 games on the road.
Better yet, make them the Washington Generals of baseball so they lose every game.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

haltz wrote:
May 11 21, 7:31 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
May 11 21, 6:04 pm
Tokyo.
Tokyo but have the home field in Hawaii. I read that idea somewhere. Apparently 2 million Japanese visit every year and you split the difference on travel time. It's under 6 hours from LAX.
Having your franchise valuation hinge largely on air travel seems bad economically and not recession proof. Plus, plane travel definitely taking a dip with climate change concerns. Also Hawaii As facing the Red Sox sounds like it'd need a travel day + off day for the lag.

Edit: Hawaii has a big market of 1.4 million people on all the islands. But Nielsen rank is around 65. Seems like it should be bigger.