Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on May 11. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

A lot of questions about Pujols' possible next destination, so there was barely any NL Central content this week. I included a bonus Q&A about trades, and it references the Arenado trade.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... 10632.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Think the Brewers will trade Hader? Seems like his peak is right now and could get back some Tatis level prospect.

Steve Adams
I don't think they'll trade him as long as they're contending. In the offseason, when his arb price is going to be up in the eight-figure range, then yeah, it seems possible if not likely.
What does Mitch Keller need to do to be good, in your opinion?

Steve Adams
Get traded away from the Pirates? Worked for Cole, Musgrove, Glasnow.

I say that half-sarcastically, but maybe that's the eventual endgame here. I think the raw stuff with Keller is pretty good, but he hasn't had success with either front office group/coaching staff. I think some guys benefit from changes of scenery and a fresh start.
Do you buy the idea that accepting a mediocre trade return for a player who is a pending free agent will cause teams to offer less for your more controllable trade chips? (Ya know, the ones who you don't have to trade.)

Steve Adams
Is this in reference to the Rockies and Arenado?

Anyway, I don't buy that it'll dramatically impact an eventual return, no. Like you said, the team doesn't *have* to trade the controllable asset(s) you're referencing, so if the offers are perceived as mediocre, they'll just hold until offers improve or until the market changes at a later date.

Besides, taking a "mediocre" return is generally a matter of opinion. The Arenado return generally looks pretty poor, but we've seen lots of trades over the years with a "That's it?" and it ends up looking pretty good. Teams evaluate players differently. It's not like they're all just looking at Baseball America's Top 30s and Top 100 and basing decisions on that.

Tags: