CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 5/14 GDT: Cardinals(Oviedo)@Padres(Musgrove) 9:10 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

“How do you defend a hitter who hits the ball down the left-field line, the right-field line and up the middle,” said Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda in 1984. That same year Al Oliver, a seven-time All-Star and .303 lifetime hitter, said: ‘I’m not in awe of too many people, but Tony Gwynn is the best looking young hitter I’ve seen since I’ve been in the big leagues. I can honestly say that I would pay to see him hit.”

Gwynn, an early advocate of using videotape to study his swing, once said, “I love to hit. I can’t wait until it’s my turn. Sometimes, I think that’s all baseball is. I root for the other team to go down 1-2-3 so I can hit again.”

A 15-time All-Star and five-time Gold Glove Award winner in right field, Gwynn spent his entire 20-season big league career with the Padres.

With his eighth and final batting crown in 1997, Gwynn tied Honus Wagner, the great Pittsburgh Pirates shortstop, for the most in National League history. In addition to his .338 career batting average, he earned seven Silver Slugger Awards for offense and batted .371 in his two World Series appearances.

Greg Maddux once said of Gwynn: “He’s easily the toughest hitter for me. I can’t think of anyone who hits me harder. He handles the pitch away as well as anybody, and he’s able to stay inside the ball when the pitch is in. His holes are just very small.”

Gwynn was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2007. He passed away on June 16, 2014.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Good old west coast trip with a 10 PM Eastern start time. You know what that means..........

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MRI results taken Thursday morning showed that Paul DeJong is dealing with a “pretty significant” contusion to the ribs in his left side, after he was hit by a pitch there on Tuesday and then removed from Wednesday’s loss to the Brewers at American Family Field. St. Louis is still evaluating its shortstop, with no decision yet on an injured list stint, though DeJong will have some length of pause in action. He’ll travel with the team to San Diego.

Positive for the Cardinals is that DeJong seems to have avoided any muscular ailment, such as an oblique injury, which can be tricky.

DeJong didn’t seem to show any apparent discomfort in action on Wednesday, though Shildt said that the shortstop felt something grab when he made a tag on Lorenzo Cain, who stole second base in the third inning. The club is narrowing an 88.1 mph changeup by Brewers starter Freddy Peralta plunking DeJong in the seventh inning of Tuesday’s win as the root cause of the ailment.

The Cards did not call up a player in DeJong’s place for Thursday's game against Milwaukee ace Corbin Burnes, but Shildt said they’ll likely add a position player to the taxi squad for San Diego. Asked pregame about infielder José Rondón being removed from a Triple-A Memphis game on Wednesday night, Shildt admitted that “your educated guess is probably pretty good.”

Tommy Edman started at shortstop on Thursday, recording a leadoff hit, a run scored and two stolen bases. He’ll likely play there until the club makes a decision on DeJong’s immediate outlook and any necessary roster shifting. Edman has provided Gold Glove-caliber play at second and in right field this season, and though Thursday was his first time at short this year, it’s a position he was brought up playing, with 12 starts there last season. Edmundo Sosa could also spell DeJong for a day at short; he replaced DeJong on Wednesday.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The San Diego Padres are 9-10 at home this season and are heavy favorites to beat the St. Louis Cardinals who are 9-6 on the road this season. The Padres have a better than 60% chance of winning based on 10,000 game simulations generated one play at a time by the AccuScore Simulation Supercomputer. Padres\' starter Joe Musgrove is forecasted to have a better game than Cardinals\' starter Johan Oviedo. Joe Musgrove has a 44% chance of having a Quality Start (QS) while Johan Oviedo has a 19% chance of a QS. If Joe Musgrove has a quality start the Padres has a 81% chance of winning. His simulated strikeout to walk ratio is 6.7 and he has a 53% chance of having a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio. When he has a 5/1 ratio the Padres win 73%. In Johan Oviedo quality starts the Cardinals win 50%. He has a 33% chance of having a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio and if he does his team wins 50% of simulations. In simulations we tracked the batter for each team that was most productive based his average hits, walks and RBI per simulation. The most productive batter for the San Diego Padres is Javier Guerra who averaged 3.57 hits+walks+RBI. He has a 78% chance of having a big game with 3+ Hits, Walks, RBI and if he has a big game the Padres have a 77% chance of winning. The most productive batter for the St. Louis Cardinals is Nolan Arenado who averaged 2.12 hits+walks+RBI. He has a 35% chance of having a big game with 3+ Hits, Walks, RBI and if he has a big game the Cardinals have a 46% chance of winning.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

Padres will be down several players this weekend, correct?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

You guys know what San Diego means in German, right?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

DeadMoney wrote:
May 14 21, 9:08 am
Padres will be down several players this weekend, correct?
there are 5 covid related ILs in last few days. not sure if they may be close to being reactivated, etc

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/injuries/_/name/sd

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

That's a disrespectful A.S.S.