CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 5/16 GDT: Cardinals(Kim)@Padres(Weathers) 6:08 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
May 17 21, 2:46 pm
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
May 17 21, 2:18 pm
Reading this thread you'd never know about the inning changing slide Manny took in the middle of the basepath in the 2nd to take out Edman, and break up the DP...
https://www.closecallsports.com/2021/05 ... legal.html
For the purposes of this play, and the aforementioned notwithstanding, one key phrase within this rule clarifies that Machado's slide was legal: "Interference shall not be called where a runner’s contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner’s legal pathway to the base." Because Edman clearly is moving into Machado's legal pathway to second base, this exception to interference is applicable
I guess there is nothing in the rule about sliding nine feet from the base.

Tags:

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:
May 17 21, 3:00 pm
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
Reading this thread you'd never know about the inning changing slide Manny took in the middle of the basepath in the 2nd to take out Edman, and break up the DP...
For the purposes of this play, and the aforementioned notwithstanding, one key phrase within this rule clarifies that Machado's slide was legal: "Interference shall not be called where a runner’s contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner’s legal pathway to the base." Because Edman clearly is moving into Machado's legal pathway to second base, this exception to interference is applicable
"Runner's contact with the fielder" includes sliding.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
May 17 21, 3:05 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
May 17 21, 3:00 pm
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
"Runner's contact with the fielder" includes sliding.
Yeah I don't disagree it was a legal play; just seemed a little sketchy at first glance.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

even golf digest has opinions...because...
Manny Machado, now sliding into guys 20 feet from base, officially confirmed as dirty player
By Coleman Bentley
May 17, 2021
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/manny- ... ego-padres

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Machado hate is unwarranted IMO. It's possibly rooted in "flashy latinx player" racism too.

Outside of MAYBE the Aguilar play, which he just reacted (though very poorly) to how Aguilar was being a dick. Not really dirty. And the bat to Donaldson, well Donaldson is the league's biggest [expletive] so I am not sure he didn't play a role in instigating that. And Yordano Ventura? Enough said there too.

There was nothing wrong with this play. Ben Fredrickson's tweet about this being a fabricated story is correct. And Edman didn't even care either.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 18 21, 1:54 pm
Machado hate is unwarranted IMO. It's possibly rooted in "flashy latinx player" racism too.

Outside of MAYBE the Aguilar play, which he just reacted (though very poorly) to how Aguilar was being a dick. Not really dirty. And the bat to Donaldson, well Donaldson is the league's biggest [expletive] so I am not sure he didn't play a role in instigating that. And Yordano Ventura? Enough said there too.

There was nothing wrong with this play. Ben Fredrickson's tweet about this being a fabricated story is correct. And Edman didn't even care either.
Yeah, I mean outside of all of these incidents where Machado violently lashed out like a baby, he's totally been an upstanding baseball citizen.

I don't think his slide on Sunday was a big deal. It looked to me like he awkwardly tried to avoid a tag and/or throw to the face more than anything. But his reputation is well-earned. I'm not the biggest fan of hotheads and bat flippers, but I generally let it slide. I don't like guys who lash out in ways that could seriously injure other players, and Machado has crossed that line multiple times.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Not a fan of hot heads? I didn't know you didn't like Yadi.

Bat flipping rules and I hope the emergence of Tatis makes baseball fun again. Unwritten rules stuff is awful. Pitchers are nearly killing people with the ball that should almost be classified as a deadly weapon over getting their feelings hurt.

Hitting someone lightly at the hips because they hit "your guy" is one thing but doing it over bat flipping is full blown stupid.

I won't defend Machado's actions from past, but he was provoked in every case. You're entitled to your opinion on his reaction. I do feel Sunday's incident is a non-story. He checked on Edman and apologized and it was just a bang-bang play that was hard to avoid on both sides.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Yes, I don't like that aspect of Yadi. Nor did I like that side of Pujols.

Machado generated the entire Donaldson incident first by strangely overreacting to being tagged out, then throwing a bat at him. Stupid and childish no matter how you slice it.

Things happen in a competitive environment, and people react. I get it. I've done it. But there's a line when it comes to potentially injuring other players. Intentionally throwing at guys' heads, throwing bats, targeting the pivot leg on a takeout slide - all not cool.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

And to think ARod was singing Gibson’s praises during the game.