Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on May 16.

Not a lot of questions again this time. I included bonus Q&As about analytics and injuries.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-10667.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy Pham to Big 5 Sporting Goods for a few whatevers...Who says no?

Mark Polishuk
Seeing as how Pham seems to be tearing it up against the Cards, maybe he just needs a trade to an NL Central team.
Should the Brewers make a big push for Colorado Rockies SS Trevor Story to help the Brewers struggling offense at SS and 1B?

Mark Polishuk
Story would definitely be a big help to the Brewers, and that kind of splashy acquisition isn't totally out of the team's purview (especially since it'd be just a short-term add). It's a credit to Milwaukee that they've hung in there despite all the injuries.
Scherzer to the Cardinals at the deadline? Would love to see Max play in his hometown.

Mark Polishuk
Sorry to be a buzzkill with all the "it's still early" answers, but the Nationals still have lots of time to get back into contention. Nobody is running away with the NL East by any means.

If they did sell, sure, I'd imagine the Cards would definitely check in on Scherzer. Keep in mind that Scherzer will have control over his next destination since he has 10-and-5 no-trade rights, so if he particularly wanted to return home, he would have leverage.
Are the Pirates really going to hover this close to .500 all season? I was envisioning back-to-back #1 picks.

Mark Polishuk
Would you settle for a top-five pick?

Plus, y'know, lots of baseball left. I can use that answer to also illustrate how some teams might be play worse over the rest of the season, rather than get better!
What can the Cubs get for Hendricks? I imagine even with his big contract, someone might bite and jumpstart The Future.

Mark Polishuk
Moving Hendricks would definitely be a sign that the Cubs were abandoning all pretense and going into a rebuild, which I'm not sure they're yet ready to do.

If they did decide to move him, it would be interesting to see what the return would be. Obviously you'd think a controllable (via his extension) and relatively inexpensive pitcher with years of solid results to his name would merit a big trade package.

Hendricks is already 31 and isn't the big-strikeout, big-velocity guy that so many front offices crave, but surely he'd still bring back at least a couple of solid prospects.
In your opinion, are analytics overused or over relied upon?

Mark Polishuk
Not really. It's never a bad idea to go into a game (or season, or playoff series) with more information and preparation rather than less. In general, analytics has been a big help to teams that properly embrace the extra info.
What do you think is contributing to all the injuries especially for pitchers? Bad mechanics? Shortened season last year?

Mark Polishuk
Shortened season is probably the bigger culprit, or potentially trying to over-correct to the shortened season. If teams and pitchers are trying to reinvent the wheel to compensate for the innings bump, the difference in routine might be a reason for some of these injuries.

Tags:

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by JoeMcKim »