Mo "It’s not like you can simply say, ‘Let’s be patient and try to muddle through this.’

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Mo "It’s not like you can simply say, ‘Let’s be patient and try to muddle through this.’

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

go birds wrote:
June 14 21, 9:13 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 14 21, 8:02 am
The offense might be the more worrisome in the grand scheme. The pitching has been bad but at least they can stick it to injuries. The offense doesn’t have that. Sosa matched Dejong’s typical offensive output, so the only bat that really has been missed is Bader, who’s on the lower end of the bats in the lineup. They’ve also had quite a few guys exceed my expectations and still have been mediocre. It’s weird.

There's not a starting bat that's getting replaced via trade. Unless of course they are able to bring in a trevor story-like bat. But that's not happening, nor should it. That's probably the best bat that would be available at the deadline.

The cards should really inquire about josh harrison though.

You fix the rotation with a legit arm (or two) and that puts less pressure on the pen.

I don't love the offense, but scoring 6-7 runs a game doesn't matter anyway when you're giving up 8.
It would be lovely to score 6-7 runs a game, but they’re average. Before the cold streak, they were basically average everywhere except for defense which matters less than ever.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Mo "It’s not like you can simply say, ‘Let’s be patient and try to muddle through this.’

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

They need a little of everything. They need talent, period.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

go birds wrote:
June 14 21, 9:13 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 14 21, 8:02 am
The offense might be the more worrisome in the grand scheme. The pitching has been bad but at least they can stick it to injuries. The offense doesn’t have that. Sosa matched Dejong’s typical offensive output, so the only bat that really has been missed is Bader, who’s on the lower end of the bats in the lineup. They’ve also had quite a few guys exceed my expectations and still have been mediocre. It’s weird.

There's not a starting bat that's getting replaced via trade. Unless of course they are able to bring in a trevor story-like bat. But that's not happening, nor should it. That's probably the best bat that would be available at the deadline.

The cards should really inquire about josh harrison though.

You fix the rotation with a legit arm (or two) and that puts less pressure on the pen.

I don't love the offense, but scoring 6-7 runs a game doesn't matter anyway when you're giving up 8.
If we're dealing with Wash lets really deal. Pay close attention to how Corbin does vs the Pirates. It could be a buy-low type of move, but the contract could be a sticking point. If Scherzer is indeed on the table, go get him, harrison, Corbin, and a bullpen guy. I expect Hand to be dealt, but his cost might be too high. essentially, go to Rizzo and tell him you'll take all the money attached to each guy.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 14 21, 9:52 am
They need a little of everything. They need talent, period.
Exactly.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
June 14 21, 10:00 am

If we're dealing with Wash lets really deal. Pay close attention to how Corbin does vs the Pirates. It could be a buy-low type of move, but the contract could be a sticking point. If Scherzer is indeed on the table, go get him, harrison, Corbin, and a bullpen guy. I expect Hand to be dealt, but his cost might be too high. essentially, go to Rizzo and tell him you'll take all the money attached to each guy.
Who are you expecting to trade for this mountain of top-level talent? Is this one of those times when you expect them to take a bunch of AA guys you don't like?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Harrison is a journeyman, and Corbin is a buy-low. Scherzer will cost you. But that's why I said offer to take their contracts for starters. Corbin makes ~$20 a year, Harrison is just $. Scherzer will be a mix of "take all of his remaining contract, and give us a prospect". I never said to send over our Austin Dean's and Ponce's.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Sorry, I was a bit dismissive. I've read way too many "surely team X would want five average AA guys in return for their future Hall of Famer!" posts, not that yours was one of them.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 14 21, 9:46 am
Welcome to reality boys and girls.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

The return of Mike Girsch's Puke Point™

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

This is the reality you get yourself into when you refuse to build any depth.