Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Sports Illustrated article on doctoring baseballs

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 14 21, 9:10 am
Waino used Harkins. Confirmed.
“Bubba! This is adam wainwright. Can I give you a call?” said a text from a phone number associated with the Cardinals righty in April 2019. Five days later, a new message pinged from Wainwright’s phone: “Got it,” it said. “Thanks. Very thick stuff!” More texts came from Wainwright’s phone that June: “Hey Bubba, couple guys asking about some secret stuff. Anyway you can send a couple batches with the angels when they come?” The team was already on the road, Harkins replied, but he would mail some. Later a Venmo account labeled with the name Adam Wainwright sent Harkins $300, writing that the money was for “Kale salad and beans.” The Venmo transaction occurred the same day that a text was sent from Wainwright’s number to Harkins saying that he paid him. (Wainwright did not respond to requests for comment made through the Cardinals.)
I didn’t hear the interview, but I guess he discussed this on ESPN 101 in an interview. Said he used it once and didn’t like it.

Maybe that’s true, but it’s also exactly what I would say if I knew my name was going to be linked to this and wanted to get ahead of it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

like smoking a joint and not inhaling. all charges cleared.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 14 21, 12:27 pm

I didn’t hear the interview, but I guess he discussed this on ESPN 101 in an interview. Said he used it once and didn’t like it.

Maybe that’s true, but it’s also exactly what I would say if I knew my name was going to be linked to this and wanted to get ahead of it.
Waino must have expected MLB to look after Harkins and sweep it under the rug. His "explanation" is a crock.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 14 21, 12:00 pm
I didn’t show one segregated by pitch type on purpose because it does still illustrate the point. If you like dramatic hockey stick graphs, check out the four seam fastball averages.

The average has dropped off league wide too. Not just Bauer.
It wasn't a criticism to say the data is useless. But yes, comparing all four-seam fastball averages would be more meaningful. Lower Spin rates on change-ups cause those to break more, whereas higher spin rates on fastballs can influence movement in particular ways. So you do need to disaggregate pitch type.

Additionally, I would expect pitchers to change up their repertoires somewhat if they were doctoring the ball less--they'd have to. I'd want to know that, too.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

I love how the texts between these players and their suppliers are pretty much exactly like the texts between me and my weed dealer. Not hiding anything at all. Who's gonna tell these guys about Signal? :P

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Face the music Waino. This makes you a little edgy, own up. Something tells me they won’t ship him off for embarrassing the franchise. (Sarcasm)

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 14 21, 4:47 pm
As if! If I was the journalist asking the question, I'd have handed Shildt a copy of SI, and said "here you go, I'll wait".

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I hope our entire staff uses it so they can all be suspended and I don't have to watch them pitch