Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on June 8. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

He took a decent number of questions. I included a bonus Q&A about the hypothetical asking price for Scherzer, since some might be curious.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... 10820.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
More trade value Adam Frazier or Rich Rodriguez?

Steve Adams
I tend to think Rodriguez, since he's cheaper and has more control and every team needs bullpen help. But Frazier is raking, he can play a solid 2B or LF, and lots of teams could use that contact-oriented bat right now.
Best place for Jacob Nottingham to find cheap flights to Milwaukee?

Steve Adams
The Brewers should be covering his flight costs.
Padres bring Bryant back to his USD roots and resign him to an extension to play corner OF? Can they also trade the cubs no-name prospects for him, like they did Darvish (thanks Cubs)?

Steve Adams
Cubs aren't trading Bryant when they're vying for the division lead. If they tank in the next seven weeks, it'll be more likely, but the remainder of Bryant's contract isn't so large that they'll take a low-ball deal like they did with that Darvish fiasco.

Imagine if Tom Ricketts had given a crap about trying to win in 2021, how good the Cubs would be looking with Darvish atop the rotation, reborn Kimbrel in the bullpen and a revitalized Bryant anchoring the lineup. Oops.
Gorman for Scherzer straight up?

Steve Adams
I think a package headlined by Nolan Gorman would appeal to the Nats. I would expect there to be other, lower-level (or at least lesser-regarded) prospects in play. Going from STL to DC.
Chances of Haniger getting moved? Possible suitors?

Steve Adams
I don't see how Seattle can keep hovering around .500 when they're hitting .208/.282/.367 as a team and sporting a -54 run differential, so I think there's a pretty good chance he's moved next month. White Sox, Indians, Cardinals, Braves all make some sense.
Anyone from team USA (besides Luke William, called up today) give themselves a good enough showing to get back to the bigs?

Steve Adams
Derrick Goold from the STL Post Dispatch reported the Cardinals are leaning toward bringing Liberatore back.
Any catchers that you could see being moved besides Stallings in Pittsburgh?

Steve Adams
Wilson Ramos, if he counts as a catcher anymore. Tucker Barnhart. Jorge Alfaro. Could try to pry Carson Kelly from the D-backs, but that'd be tougher.
The Jacob Nottingham saga has got to be the closest thing MLB has ever had to a soccer-like loan system, right? At this point the Mariners and Brewers should just negotiate shared custody. Seattle during the week, Milwaukee on weekends.

Steve Adams
Rangers and A's traded Adam Rosales back-and-forth like this 4-5 times a few years ago as well.
What's the asking price for Max Scherzer these days?

Steve Adams
I'm still wholly unconvinced the Nationals will trade him. They could, obviously, and there will be rumors about him to the point that people are begging for it to stop. The reality is, though, that we rarely see the Nats make a selling move of this nature (their reported near-deal to send Harper away notwithstanding). Scherzer has a no-trade clause, too.

If he's moved, I'd say look back to the Yu Darvish rental, as that's the last time that an ace was moved away in the final year of a decent-sized contract. Texas netted Willie Calhoun, then a Top 50ish prospect, and a pair of mid-range prospects from a deep Dodgers farm.

Tags: