You're the Owner of the Cards, Who Ya Firing?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

You're the Owner of the Cards, Who Ya Firing?

(1) Mo - he's behind the curve and lacks any sort of creativity
56%
(2) The GM - what's his name again? Does it matter? Step Into My Office Cuz You're [expletive] Fired
8%
(2) Shildt - Too Many Bad Decisions
No votes
(3) Hitting/Pitching Coach - or as i like to refer to it THE SCAPEGOAT
12%
(4) Sell the [expletive] team so I don't fire anyone and can count my profits in peace
24%

Total votes: 25

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: You're the Owner of the Cards, Who Ya Firing?

Post by Famous Mortimer »

go birds wrote:
June 14 21, 7:43 am
If the cards are going to be frugal in their spending, which is ok
It's only okay if you're a fan of prudent financial management more than you are winning baseball. We all pay a lot of money to be fans of the St Louis Cardinals, and I want to see that money on the field and not making a billionaire even richer.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

go birds wrote:
June 14 21, 7:43 am
ghostrunner wrote:
June 14 21, 6:41 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
June 11 21, 7:33 pm
I don't think firing any of them will matter. Need an owner willing to spend his dollars.
The only one that feels right to me. Mo spends what he's allowed to spend, more or less. If he's not making the case for expenditures well enough that's different, but impossible to know. If anything DeWitt is probably going to seek out someone who spends $ more "efficiently".
If that's the case then you find a GM who can spend wisely.

If the cards are going to be frugal in their spending, which is ok, then find a GM who can get good value for the money.

That would also mean completely sweeping your analytics and scouting, which is something that has needed to be done for awhile.

Mo is a yes man and has been living off of other bad GMs (rockies/marlins) for the past few years.

It's time to move on.
Still, i think the fact that you have to pose this question as if we're the owner kind of answers the question. They've stuck with Mo this long, so are they likely to go out and get someone from Cleveland or Oakland or Tampa Bay, and shell out whatever dough (and freedom) is necessary to do so? If they were interested in a rebuild I think it would have happened. Probably we'd end up with Girsch, if I had to bet.

TigCards
All-Star

Post by TigCards »

Mowitt

Jedibaracuda
Veteran Player

Post by Jedibaracuda »

Jeff Albert. It can’t be a coincidence that every hitter that has left this team has gotten better and every hitter that has come here has gotten worse.

Mike Maddux. When your pitching is walking batters at a historic pace, at least some of that blame should lie with the coaching.

The medical staff. Did we hire the Yankees’ medical staff in the offseason or something?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I think Albert is fine. I prefer his approach, which I think is aligned with the modern game. Mabry was very bad and I'd hate to go to another old school hitting coach. Goldy hitting an age cliff is nothing Albert is doing. And Tommy Edman and Edmundo Sosa have completely ascended their game in the AAA to MLB jump. Albert deserves some credit there.

Need to move on from Maddux. Last place in meaningful pitching stats. He is bad and a holdover from pre-Shildt era too. Get him out.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on June 14 21, 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

JoeMcKim wrote:
June 13 21, 8:27 pm
heyzeus wrote:
June 12 21, 2:51 pm
No doubt Mo has some flops. Carpenter extension, Pham and about trades, almost every bullpen free agent signing.
Too many of the guys that Mo has traded off or given up on have gone on to being stars elsewhere. Luke Voit, Patrick Wisdom, Randy Arozarena, Adolis Garcia to name a few.
That Ozuna trade really stings right now. At least they didn't sign him long term.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Fire whoever slams on the brakes after the team makes one big deal but won't follow up fill out other weaknesses on the team. Great to get Goldy and Arenado, but that doesn't help if you have other areas that need to be addressed.