Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on June 13.

A lot of content to read through this time, so enjoy. I included a bonus Q&A about the upcoming HoF ballot.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-10850.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Expected return for a Adam Frazier trade?

Mark Polishuk
Frazier is controlled through 2022, and he's enjoying a very nice season. His Statcast numbers aren't great, however, which a lot of teams will point to as either a reason to stay away entirely, or to try and pay less to the Pirates in a trade package.

It won't be a blockbuster deal by any means, but maybe one solid prospect (borderline top-100 type, or maybe more realistically someone in the proverbial "110-120" range) and a lesser prospect.

Just my opinion, of course. And in a year when offense is hard to come by, teams may be willing to give up more for a productive bat.
The Cubs are a Yu Darvish away from being a real contender...yeah?

Mark Polishuk
Yeah, but pitchers like Yu Darvish are pretty hard to just find on the trade market. What are the Cubs supposed to offer San Diego, Zach Davies and a bunch of prospects? Pfft, what team would accept that deal?!
If Kimbrel is available, what would the Braves have to give up to get him?

Mark Polishuk
I think there's a better chance of the Braves selling and the Cubs buying at the deadline, rather than the other way around.

Besides, surely the Cubs ownership isn't so desperate to save money that they'd have a red-hot Kimbrel dealt from their contending team.
Someone asking in the context of the Cardinals current situation asked...

What would a realistic Jose Berrios trade look like???

Mark Polishuk
If the Twins did move Berrios, I think they'd get more than Toronto got for Stroman in 2019, since Berrios has more of a consistent (and durable) track record. For the Cards, they wouldn't move Liberatore or Gorman, but Herrera and another of St. Louis' top prospects (Winn or Walker?) and potentially an MLB-ready player.

This would be the ask, keep in mind. No guarantee that the Cardinals would actually give up that much for a season and two months of Berrios.

(or, it must be said, whether STL would even be buyers at the deadline.)
What are the Brewers most likely to trade for next? A corner infielder or another reliever?

Mark Polishuk
I would definitely be thinking offense first if I was running Milwaukee's front office. The bullpen is still good overall, and though I might make another smaller-scale relief add, the lineup is in more need of serious help.
How far would Miguel Amaya get the Cubs for Berrios or German Marquez?

Mark Polishuk
Both the Twins and Rockies would see Amaya as "ok, that's a good start. Now, as for the other three or four guys..."
Are the Pirates taking the HS SS that is willing to sign for the least amount of money? Is there really that big of a difference amongst the three?

Mark Polishuk
I assume you're referring to a recent MLB.com mock draft, which suggested that Marcelo Mayer might be the Pirates' #1. At this time of year, all sorts of information and purposeful misinformation (from teams, not reporters) is flying around, so it's hard to tell what exactly the Bucs will do. They might not know themselves yet at this point, but the strategy of stretching your pool money over as many quality prospects as possible isn't a bad idea.
How realistic is a bad contract swap of Jason Heyward for David Price at the trade deadline?

Mark Polishuk
Not realistic at all. Price is more valuable to the Dodgers than Heyward would be.
Who hangs up first: Adam Frazier for Johnathan Steiver, Micker Adolfo & Zeby Zavala.

Mark Polishuk
I think Pittsburgh says yes, but the White Sox balk at the ask.
Why do teams(like the Pirates) assume every player is a utility player and can play multiple positions well and run out a different batting order every night?
Don’t players (especially young players and baseball players) need a routine and consistent ABs in order to hit in and out of slumps? Or the days of vets like Ben Zobrist and J.Harrison being MLB-only utility players over with??

Mark Polishuk
I've made this same argument before... every team is trying to develop multi-positional guys, but not every player is really capable of such a role.
St Louis question. Mediocre hitting, injured starters and mediocre relief. Add to that, one of the worst walk rates all around. What do the Cards do at the deadline, short of going on a run that they show no signs of doing?

Mark Polishuk
Since I mentioned the possibility earlier... maybe selling? The Cards don't have a ton of obvious rental-player trade candidates, since I highly doubt they'd move Molina/Wainwright unless they asked out, and guys like Kim and Miller have limited value.
Are any of Moose, Suarez or Shogo moveable for just salary relief? They all have salaries on the higher side at positions groups the Reds have lots of depth. None of their contacts are completely terrible, but those financial resources could certainly be better utilized in the bullpen for this team.

Mark Polishuk
If you're moving Moose or Suarez, that's kind of a tacit admission that the Reds are maybe going to be undergoing a bigger refresh than just a "sell some spare parts and reload for 2022" deadline strategy.

I'm not sure what Cincy exactly plans on doing given the rather mixed signals from their front office's moves over the last year, but short of a major collapse in the next month, I think they'd stop short of any huge trades.
What would happen, cosmically, if the Cubs had Wisdom don the tools of ignorance for even one inning?

Mark Polishuk
Likeliest HOF voting results?

Mark Polishuk
Ortiz is almost certainly getting in first-ballot. A-Rod likely not due to the steroid issues. Schilling came close enough in the last ballot that he'll probably get over the 75% threshold this time, unless he makes more inflammatory statements.

Bonds and Clemens have seemingly stalled out. Rolen should continue to make gains but he'll probably have to wait at least one more year before getting inducted.

Tags:

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Ortiz, who almost certainly juiced, will cruise in whereas other players who were better than him won't. Ah well.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
June 14 21, 3:56 pm
Ortiz, who almost certainly juiced, will cruise in whereas other players who were better than him won't. Ah well.
That is a bit of a head scratcher.

Several years ago, the New York Times broke the story that 104 players tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs as part of a screening process in 2003. MLB and MLBPA agreed to anonymous testing to determine how widespread PED use was in baseball so they could design an appropriate official testing system.

The test results were supposed to remain anonymous, though of course that didn't happen. Among those who tested positive according to New York Times report were Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Sammy Sosa, and Barry Bonds. The screening results led to the league's first PED testing program, which has grown more and more intense over time.

Ortiz appeared on WEEI sport radio in Boston on Friday, and during the interview he said his test results were leaked because too many Yankeess players were testing positive. He was essentially claiming a regional bias. The New York Times didn't like that several Yankees tested positive, so they leaked a Red Sox player.

Obviously Ortiz was as guilty as the rest of them. Let them all in or keep them all out.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I believe the true criteria goes something like this.

Did you admit to using PED's? If so, you have no chance.

Did you definitively test positive? If so, you have no chance.

Were you heavily suspected of using PED's AND generally an [expletive]? If so, you have no chance.

Were you suspected of using PED's, but generally an OK guy? If so, you'll have to wait a couple years, but you'll get in.

Were you suspected of using PED's, but beloved by all of New England? First ballot.

Are you Jim Edmonds? Ha ha. You only last one year on the ballot.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I didn't include it in the bonus Q&A, but someone asked about Ortiz, and Mark's response threw shade on the Mitchell Report.

EDIT: Here it is:

You think David Ortiz is a first ballot HOF'er despite his early-career ties to PED's?

Mark Polishuk
Yep. There was more than a little ambiguity about the Mitchell Report, and Ortiz went on to become one of baseball's most beloved figures.
To me, Ortiz cheated and should face the same fate as Manny, A-Rod, Clemens, Bonds, Palmeiro, etc.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

What does him being a beloved figure have to do with the "ambiguity" of the Mitchell Report? Why does he get a free ride but the other players who also never admitted to juicing don't? There's no logic to it, and watching journalists suddenly forget the principles that kept Bonds, Clemens et al. out, will be interesting.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I mean in the article I quoted up there; Ortiz did not deny using the PEDs; he was just salty that his name got leaked and said he was leaked because a bunch of Yankees were leaked. That still equals he tested positive. He should be looked at with the same skepticism as those other guys. I don't say don't vote him in; but if you aren't voting for Clemens, Bonds, McGwire types then why vote Ortiz?