Tyler Glasnow has a torn UCL

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Tyler Glasnow has a torn UCL

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Pine tar and rosin is literally what Pelican Grip Dip is. Pine tar should not be allowed on any level.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Popeye_Card wrote:
June 16 21, 10:51 am
I mean, bat technology has progressed over the years. Pitchers should get some gain in materials as well.
Has it, really? The pitchers' gains come from them throwing harder and harder, surely? I want some level of parity, which there doesn't seem to be at the moment. It feels like the constantly increasing strikeout rate would be a clue that the pitchers have had the benefit of pretty much every recent change to the game.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
June 16 21, 12:17 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
June 16 21, 10:51 am
I mean, bat technology has progressed over the years. Pitchers should get some gain in materials as well.
Has it, really? The pitchers' gains come from them throwing harder and harder, surely? I want some level of parity, which there doesn't seem to be at the moment. It feels like the constantly increasing strikeout rate would be a clue that the pitchers have had the benefit of pretty much every recent change to the game.
Over the last 100 years? Absolutely. Even within the last 20 years, there have been pretty significant gains with the transition from ash to maple. Here is a decent article on the subject for reference.

Sure, pitchers generally throw harder now. Hitters have better swing velocity too. Increased spin rates have helped pitchers, and increased exit velocity has helped hitters. Advances in bat design and materials have helped hitters achieve the latter. Sticky stuff has helped pitchers with the former - it has just been illegal.

There isn't a health issue here like there is with PED's. It is strictly a competitive balance issue. I certainly understand and even agree with taking away some pitcher advantage here, because strikeouts have become boring. But if hitters still keep their advantage to hit more HR's - the game remains boring in my view.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I'm trying this with my wife. I told her if I don't sleep with other women terrible things could happen to my penis. It could stop working.
Cheat or die.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Popeye_Card wrote:
June 16 21, 1:02 pm
Sure, pitchers generally throw harder now. Hitters have better swing velocity too. Increased spin rates have helped pitchers, and increased exit velocity has helped hitters. Advances in bat design and materials have helped hitters achieve the latter. Sticky stuff has helped pitchers with the former - it has just been illegal.
I just don't see any sort of parity between the two, though. Like, strikeouts have been going up, every year, for 16 (17?) years. I just don't buy that this is entirely the fault of batters swinging for more power. Averages league-wide are lower than 1968. Increased exit velocity only helps when you can put the bat on the ball, which is happening at a historically low rate.

Perhaps I just don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying there's no problem with the current setup beyond a few guys using spider tack?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

DeadMoney wrote:
June 16 21, 10:10 am
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
June 16 21, 10:09 am
How about giving all pitchers an approved universal substance they can use and anything else will be punishable.
That would make too much sense. So, no way it happens.
no way an umpire is able to tell the difference between a universal adopted substance and something entirely different/illegal

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

cardsfantx wrote:
June 17 21, 12:20 pm
DeadMoney wrote:
June 16 21, 10:10 am
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
June 16 21, 10:09 am
How about giving all pitchers an approved universal substance they can use and anything else will be punishable.
That would make too much sense. So, no way it happens.
no way an umpire is able to tell the difference between a universal adopted substance and something entirely different/illegal
Give the universal substance a definitive odor; something like Sex Panther.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
June 17 21, 10:15 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
June 16 21, 1:02 pm
I just don't see any sort of parity between the two, though. Like, strikeouts have been going up, every year, for 16 (17?) years. I just don't buy that this is entirely the fault of batters swinging for more power. Averages league-wide are lower than 1968. Increased exit velocity only helps when you can put the bat on the ball, which is happening at a historically low rate.

Perhaps I just don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying there's no problem with the current setup beyond a few guys using spider tack?
My point is fairly simple. Batters have been allowed to take advantage of technology and better materials to increase their swing speed and exit velocity. Pitchers have been held back using rosin for a long long time. Perhaps it is time for an update to rosin. Like with bats, maybe we don’t go all the way to aluminum (spider tack), but maybe there is a comfortable medium.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Once saw Glasnow, and he was a gas,
Soon turned out, he had an arm of glass
Seemed like the real thing, only to find
His spin rate came from a palm of slime.

Once saw a hurler without Spider tack
Changed how he threw, heard his elbow crack
It seemed like the real thing but I was so blind
Those wiffle-ball pitches up down and behind

In between
Sunscreen, Elmer’s, and Gorilla Glue
The rules are so confusing, you don’t know what to do
If you fear you’re losing, it's just no good
You’ll turn to Dippity-Doo

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

That's some fine work right there.