Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on June 20.

Since there weren't a lot of divisional questions, I included a bonus Q&A about the DFA time period, another about the most surprising storyline so far and a final one about expansion.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-10887.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
With the Nats showing some signs of life, do you think they could be in the market for a bat-first infielder come July? If so, who’s a realistic target for them?

Mark Polishuk
Old friend Asdrubal Cabrera immediately comes to mind. If the Nats wanted to go bigger, Adam Frazier is the player that'll get a ton of attention from lots of teams, but the Nats have generally taken a more measured approach to the 2021 season in order to give themselves more flexibility for 2022.
Any word on if the White Sox will be adding someone for 2B or OF with the rash of injuries on the South Side?

Mark Polishuk
Since I just mentioned Adam Frazier, he is a player that would fit the ChiSox like a glove. Given how aggressive the team has been in putting this contender together, I can see them meeting what is surely a big asking price from Pittsburgh.
Wheeler for Gorman (3B) and Liberatore (LHP).

Mark Polishuk
Even if the Phils do end up being deadline sellers, they're not going to go to the extremes of moving someone like Wheeler.
Are the Padres looking for outfielders this trade season? With Pham being streaky, Grisham still not getting back to 100 yet, and Myers being hot the first 15 games and falling off since? Does someone like Jesse Winker make sense for the Padres go out and try to snag?

Mark Polishuk
I strongly doubt the Reds would move Winker, if the Reds ended up being sellers whatsoever. But SD will look to see outfield help in some form, certainly.

One factor that might impact the Padres, Giants, and Dodgers: whether the D'Backs and Rockies are comfortable moving a notable player to a divisional rival. It'll hamper the Big Three's trade efforts if two of the more obvious deadline sellers have reservations about dealing with them.

To this point, I suspect the D'Backs would have less reservations about inter-division trades. The Rockies....who knows, they go their own way on a lot of things.
The Brewers need offense. What would it take to pry Jesus Aguilar from Miami?

Mark Polishuk
It would be fun to see the Brewers try to recreate the old Aguilar magic, but it seemed like he was in need of a change of scenery when the Brew Crew dealt him two years ago. He has rebounded nicely since, but the Brewers might prefer to go another way.
Will Gorman still be a Cardinal after the trade deadline?

Mark Polishuk
I think so. I have some question as to whether or not the Cards will even be buyers at all at the deadline.
Do you think the Brewers might have to look at a Managerial change? Counsell's message apparently isn't enough to motivate this team or teams the past couple years?

Mark Polishuk
....huh? The Brewers, who have made the playoffs three years running and are perennial overachievers?

Counsell seems to me like one of the managers with the most job security in the sport.
The Cubs have no chance of winning WS this year? Do the right thing and sell, sell, sell. Thoughts?

Mark Polishuk
As long as you get into the playoffs, you have a chance. Plus, if this really is the "last ride" for this core group of Cubs stars, the front office should be pushing to capitalize.
How long does a player remain in DFA limbo?

Mark Polishuk
The DFA period lasts for seven days.
What has been the most surprising story thus far in the season?

Mark Polishuk
I'm not sure if it counts as "surprising," necessarily, since it's been an open secret around the game for years. But I think a lot of fans were surprised to learn just how widespread the use of illegal substances for ball-doctoring purposes was, and this rule crackdown dovetails into a lot of other larger issues surrounding the game.
So how come MLB doesn’t entertain having 2 expansion teams. It would add $4 billion to the owners pocket books. It would add more fans to the sport. If baseball is worried it would lose two potential markets the Rays and A’s could move to, there is like 5 potential new homes with Charlotte, Montreal, Nashville, Portland and Vegas. It should be done now.

Mark Polishuk
The league has been pretty adamant that expansion isn't on the table until the A's/Rays situations have been resolved. MLB doesn't want to decrease those teams' leverage by removing two potential cities as move possibilities.

Tags: