Lars Nootbaar called up

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Lars Nootbaar called up

Post by Popeye_Card »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 22 21, 11:15 am
People rail on Albert but he’s made Sosa and Edman respectable hitters they weren’t supposed to be at MLB level so maybe Nootbar will get some plus production too. Even if it’s short lived, it’d be nice.
Sosa is not a respectable MLB hitter. He had a short hot streak. He's back to a .502 OPS over the last month.

Edman is tolerable if he's going to play 2B and bat 7th or 8th. Other than a slight power surge (that was likely a fluke), he hasn't really hit much differently than he did in the minors.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
June 22 21, 1:28 pm
sighyoung wrote:
June 22 21, 10:40 am

Of course, the bigger news is that Lane Thomas has been shipped out.
Wrong.

I think we're going to learn quickly that Lars Nootbar is Lane Thomas in a fake moustache. That name is clearly made up. Shenanigans are in play. We all know Lane's nickname is Anal sorta Bro. Unscramble those letters, if you will.

Reminscent of when Byobb Enitnelav managed the Mets after a Bobby Valentine ejection.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popeye_Card wrote:
June 22 21, 2:40 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
People rail on Albert but he’s made Sosa and Edman respectable hitters they weren’t supposed to be at MLB level so maybe Nootbar will get some plus production too. Even if it’s short lived, it’d be nice.
Sosa is not a respectable MLB hitter. He had a short hot streak. He's back to a .502 OPS over the last month.

Edman is tolerable if he's going to play 2B and bat 7th or 8th. Other than a slight power surge (that was likely a fluke), he hasn't really hit much differently than he did in the minors.
92 wRC+

OPS is a silly stat to look at when hitting is at an all time low league-wide. Must normalize the stats to the league.

I think he probably settles around 85-95 wRC+ over the long haul which you take all day from a shortstop or a bench infielder.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
June 22 21, 4:02 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
June 22 21, 2:40 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:

92 wRC+

OPS is a silly stat to look at when hitting is at an all time low league-wide. Must normalize the stats to the league.

I think he probably settles around 85-95 wRC+ over the long haul which you take all day from a shortstop or a bench infielder.
Unfortunately they typically don't give you splits with OPS+. So some quick projections based on assumptions that league OPS has remained fairly constant this year, Sosa's OPS+ over the last month has been ~69. That's bad. He pretty much had one hot week in late May. From May 18-26 (8 games, 26 AB's), he had 13 hits and 3 XBH. The rest of the season (86 AB's), 15 hits and 2 XBH. Sorry, but I'm not going to give much credit to Albert for 1 hot week, nor am I going to make any assumptions about Sosa turning a corner and being a decent MLB hitter. He sucks at the plate.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 22 21, 1:51 pm
I also don't know whether Lars Nootbaar is a good person, but I know Lane Thomas isn't, so this pleases me.
What the story behind this, about Lane Thomas not being a good person?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

st.lewis11 wrote:
June 23 21, 9:10 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 22 21, 1:51 pm
I also don't know whether Lars Nootbaar is a good person, but I know Lane Thomas isn't, so this pleases me.
What the story behind this, about Lane Thomas not being a good person?
He's just a dude.

Spoilering so I don't kill the Nootbaar love.
[SHOW]
I think he's ultra MAGA or something. If it goes beyond that then I didn't know about it. Ponce de Leon is a "COVID is fake" guy (caught on Twitter by a Cards fan who zoomed in on a COVID denying shirt he was wearing in ST). Gant and Mikolas are also guys I would be annoyed by. And every team has like 60% players like this so I try not to get hung up on political opinions of the guys on the team I like. Rizzo and many Cubs refused the vaccine. This is league wide. I'm likely disagreeing with MLBers more often than not.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

imagine getting pleasure out of a demotion because they don't sit on the same side of the aisle as you
Last edited by go birds on June 23 21, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

Can you get a Lars Nootbaar without Noots?

Because, sometimes you feel like a Noot. Sometimes you don't.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

go birds wrote:
June 23 21, 4:14 pm
imagine getting pleasure out of a demotion because they don't sit on the same side of the aisle as you

I don't have to, I do!

He's also not just a generic dude on the other side of the aisle.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
June 23 21, 4:43 pm
go birds wrote:
June 23 21, 4:14 pm

I don't have to, I do!

He's also not just a generic dude on the other side of the aisle.
+++