2021 trade deadline, rumors and all

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2021 trade deadline, rumors and all

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

phins wrote:
September 23 21, 9:12 am
It would be better to make the WC game AND learn some lessons from this season's initial roster construction.
The lesson to be learned is : "It worked!"

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
July 29 21, 6:44 pm
I would explore trading Goldschmidt.

Value will never be higher. Could get a decent filler for him and a prospect. And somewhere to put Gorman. Make a run at an IF like Story in the off-season.

Can dream, can’t I?
Oh really?

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
August 15 21, 10:02 pm
dmarx114 wrote:
August 15 21, 6:57 pm
phins wrote:
August 15 21, 2:16 pm
Baseball is a funny game sometimes. If you look back over this thread, you'll see some takes that at the time probably were perfectly reasonable based on evidence we had at our disposal, but now probably look a little silly.

While Lester has given you close to what you'd expect him to give, Happ has looked like a different pitcher than the one prior to coming to the Cardinals. I had stated that Mo made the team worse with these trades, but to this point that has not been the case.

It makes you wonder if there was something in the recent data for Happ that portended a change in results?

Either way, I am happy to have decently exciting baseball to watch in the middle of August after all the angst of the season to this point.
This.

Thanks Mo. Again.
I thought we had to wait and see the results. I guess three starts is enough.
The results are in.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
August 16 21, 8:43 am
dmarx114 wrote:
August 16 21, 6:13 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
August 15 21, 10:02 pm
dmarx114 wrote:
August 15 21, 6:57 pm
phins wrote:
August 15 21, 2:16 pm
Baseball is a funny game sometimes. If you look back over this thread, you'll see some takes that at the time probably were perfectly reasonable based on evidence we had at our disposal, but now probably look a little silly.

While Lester has given you close to what you'd expect him to give, Happ has looked like a different pitcher than the one prior to coming to the Cardinals. I had stated that Mo made the team worse with these trades, but to this point that has not been the case.

It makes you wonder if there was something in the recent data for Happ that portended a change in results?

Either way, I am happy to have decently exciting baseball to watch in the middle of August after all the angst of the season to this point.
This.

Thanks Mo. Again.
I thought we had to wait and see the results. I guess three starts is enough.
My post was about not tanking or selling. The offense is picking things up and Flaherty is back. Happ's pixie dust has been nice to see as well. But the Cards are giving us some late season excitement. We are right there, contending for a playoff spot.

Meanwhile, lets check in on the loveable losers........
Contending is doing heavy lifting here.

I don’t know why fans feel like we should be ecstatic the team is beating AAA teams.

5.8% chance to make playoffs according to Fangraphs. Why lie to yourselves because we beat two absolutely bad teams? Padres got Tatis back and he immediately rakes. That’s the team Cards have to catch up to. They have 67 wins. I think it’ll be possibly two weeks before Cardinals can reach 67.

I’m happy to see Jack and TON doing their thing and will always watch but Mo going into this season with three broken/badly projected starters and wasting an Arenado/Goldy prime year is unforgivable.
Wasn't too heavy, thanks.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
August 16 21, 12:35 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
August 16 21, 11:47 am
I'm just frustrated that 2021 presented the best opportunity in a long time to be sellers at the trade deadline, and they completely whiffed. There are only two ways to bring prospects into your system - via the draft, and through trades. The Cardinals have completely shut themselves out of the seller's trade market for the past 20+ years now. Pretty hard to build a true contender if you are going to completely rely upon the draft - especially when you've proven unwilling to sign free agents other than relievers. The Cardinals are handcuffing themselves for no good reason.
This sums up where I am pretty well. I won't tell people what they should and shouldn't root for, but personally, I don't much care if we're nominally in the race.
Too bad. You're missing a pretty fun season.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Tell me you don't understand good outcome bad process without telling me you don't understand good outcome bad process.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
September 29 21, 6:33 am
Tell me you don't understand good outcome bad process without telling me you don't understand good outcome bad process.
I get what you are saying and all, but do we root for outcomes or processes? Are Padres fans having a blast right now because their process was mad tight?

This team sucked to watch for good portions of the season. The pitching staff is still a steaming pile of crap, as is the bench so I hope no one gets injured. We muddled in the offseason after Arenado. We muddled in June when adding a decent pitcher could have helped the Cardinals make a run at the division. We screwed up the trade deadline again. Whatever - doesn't much matter now. When they are playing well, this team is a lot of fun to watch - elite defense, speed, and legit power. And sometimes the pitchers don't walk people!

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

This run is obviously brilliant, but it doesn't retroactively make the piss-poor games earlier in the season any more entertaining.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Popeye_Card wrote:
September 29 21, 7:10 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I get what you are saying and all, but do we root for outcomes or processes? Are Padres fans having a blast right now because their process was mad tight?

This team sucked to watch for good portions of the season. The pitching staff is still a steaming pile of crap, as is the bench so I hope no one gets injured. We muddled in the offseason after Arenado. We muddled in June when adding a decent pitcher could have helped the Cardinals make a run at the division. We screwed up the trade deadline again. Whatever - doesn't much matter now. When they are playing well, this team is a lot of fun to watch - elite defense, speed, and legit power. And sometimes the pitchers don't walk people!
This is where I'm at. I all but gave up on the team by July too. Our process was awful! The trade deadline was absurd. We really did run an offseason where we landed a miracle trade for a superstar at a cost of nearly nothing, then did nothing else to improve.

And here we are, having one of the best baseball moments in 130 years of franchise history. I'm here to enjoy it while it lasts. There's a long cold offseason nipping at our heels, and we'll have fun excoriating each other over FAs and cheapness and Mo's competence.

I'm here for the now.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Popeye_Card wrote:
September 29 21, 7:10 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:

I'm very much enjoying the outcome. I'm more commenting on the touchdown dance ITT