Master of Hyperbole

Re: 2021 trade deadline, rumors and all

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
July 30 21, 5:01 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
July 30 21, 4:19 pm
"Prospect huggers"
Who would have been mad about some Winn + Thomas + Nootbaar trade for Story, lol

The brass used to have...brass

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

If I were a younger man I'd compile all of Mo's post deadline quotes.

Meanwhile Girsch once again said nothing, because he doesn't exist and I've proven it.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
July 30 21, 9:19 pm

Meanwhile Girsch once again said nothing, because he doesn't exist and I've proven it.
Bernie helped us out

[Here’s the question: if Mozeliak didn’t go big to invest in his pitching-rich, hitting-challenged team in 2015, or did nothing to help postseason contenders for three straight seasons (2016-18) and stood pat instead of boosting postseason-bound clubs in 2019 and 2020 …. well, why should we anticipate any meaningful action this time around?

Over the past five or six years the explanations haven’t changed. They’re all connected.

1–We just didn’t think the team was strong enough to justify giving up young talent, prospects, in trades.

2–Don’t want to mortgage the future.

3-Not willing to give up a top prospect for a rental player.

4–The price was too high — so many other teams were looking for pitching (or whatever) and we weren’t willing to give up top prospects in an overpay.

5–We made a thousand calls and exchanged a million texts but ultimately just couldn’t get anything done. But we really tried. It’s frustrating.

This year, at least so far, we’re hearing variations of all the above.

In other words: selections from Mo’s Greatest Hits.

.https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/ber ... for-2022/

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Spider John wrote:
July 30 21, 9:37 pm
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
July 30 21, 9:19 pm

Bernie helped us out

[Here’s the question: if Mozeliak didn’t go big to invest in his pitching-rich, hitting-challenged team in 2015, or did nothing to help postseason contenders for three straight seasons (2016-18) and stood pat instead of boosting postseason-bound clubs in 2019 and 2020 …. well, why should we anticipate any meaningful action this time around?

Over the past five or six years the explanations haven’t changed. They’re all connected.

1–We just didn’t think the team was strong enough to justify giving up young talent, prospects, in trades.

2–Don’t want to mortgage the future.

3-Not willing to give up a top prospect for a rental player.

4–The price was too high — so many other teams were looking for pitching (or whatever) and we weren’t willing to give up top prospects in an overpay.

5–We made a thousand calls and exchanged a million texts but ultimately just couldn’t get anything done. But we really tried. It’s frustrating.

This year, at least so far, we’re hearing variations of all the above.

In other words: selections from Mo’s Greatest Hits.

.https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/ber ... for-2022/

You know how they overlay video on video on video of a pitcher's release and the different movement and arrivals? Mo's post deadline quotes would play perfectly clean, as if a single video.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

As frustrating as it can be, I could be a cubs fan today. They basically dumped their Pujols, Rolen, Izzy and Rentaria during a bad year.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

[expletive] the Cubs.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It does sound like the Cardinals thought they were going to get Story yesterday but the Rockies weren’t about to make the same mistake that they made with Arenado.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
July 30 21, 8:14 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
July 30 21, 5:01 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
July 30 21, 4:19 pm
"Prospect huggers"
Who would have been mad about some Winn + Thomas + Nootbaar trade for Story, lol

The brass used to have...brass
Help me understand why you’re buying at all? We should be selling.

No way in hell am I giving up Winn for two months of Story when we have very little chance of the playoffs and it would be a one-game playoff if we did.

The Cardinals perpetual fence-sitting is annoying.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

phins wrote:
July 31 21, 4:20 pm

Help me understand why you’re buying at all? We should be selling.

No way in hell am I giving up Winn for two months of Story when we have very little chance of the playoffs and it would be a one-game playoff if we did.

The Cardinals perpetual fence-sitting is annoying.

Winn is no guarantee and you get a chance to sign Story before he’s on the open market. Prospects should be trade chips sometimes. I like Winn a lot, it’s not him. It’s not about Winn. It can be any top 10 or a recent high pick like Fletcher. It likely would have landed Story as his market shrunk.

I want them to do a full rebuild too but it has to be with a different GM. That’s not something I think Mo is equipped for.

If you’re selling, you sell Arenado now. Or Goldy. If you’re stuck with them then you get MLB age appropriate pieces like Story around them and win in the near future. One top prospect for Story is a big who cares. Giants didn’t mortgage any future for Bryant.

Think what Delvin Perez would have netted when he had more worth as a prospect trade chip. Mo’s been holding onto prospects that don’t pan out for years. His big team building strategy is acquire stars from teams who are rebuilding (Ozuna, Goldschmidt, Arenado). Is that the blueprint going forward and how reliable is that strategy? If it is, then you get Story now and he’d likely ink with the looming CBA concerns as leverage. And with that, prospects could lose yet another year like 2020 in the minors too...
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on July 31 21, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Radbird wrote:
July 1 21, 5:58 pm

Well, close enough.