Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on June 27.

This was a content-rich chat. I still included a bonus Q&A about draft speculation.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-10933.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Any chance the Reds swing a deal for a couple of firemen?

Mark Polishuk
I would imagine the bullpen is at the top of the Reds' wishlist, and fortunately for them, there's no shortage of teams looking to unload relievers.
The key word here being "couple," since Cincy's bullpen has been pretty rough overall.
Who do the Cubs trade of the big three, Baez, Bryant and or Rizzo?

Mark Polishuk
None of the above? The Cubs are in a playoff race, so I'd guess they're aiming to just keep everyone for one last ride.
With the direction the Cardinals are heading, do you see them selling a few pieces and holding off for next year?

Mark Polishuk
This is starting to look like a very realistic possibility. The Cardinals have been a big disappointment thus far, and for a front office that usually doesn't make big splashy deadline moves anyway, I don't see them taking a major swing at upgrading what might ultimately be a .500 team at best.
What would the Angels have to give up to get Sonny Gray or Ryu?

Mark Polishuk
The Reds and Jays would each have to significantly go south in the next month for either pitcher to be available.
If the Cubs become sellers, what kind of return should they expect for Kimbrel? For Bryant? Please don't say "not much" as the Cubs gave up Torres for 2 months of Chapman and Kimbrel's ERA is sub-1.

Mark Polishuk
Again, the Cubs are another team I don't see selling, since they're right in the thick of the playoff race.

And 2016 was a much different circumstance, since the Cubs aren't going to find another team desperate to break a century-plus World Series drought. The fact that Torres has indeed gone on to become a solid everyday player with flashes of stardom likely makes rival teams even more wary about dealing a prospect of note for any rental player (especially a closer).
Do you agree with the Pirates going under slot on the #1 overall?

Mark Polishuk
It's not a bad strategy, and like I wrote the other day, the pundits have Mayer near or at the top of their draft boards anyway. It isn't like the Pirates are reaching for some top 10-15 type guy at #1 overall just to save a few bucks.
What is the A's top priority at the trade deadline?

Mark Polishuk
Everyone can use pitching, and someone like Adam Frazier would be a nice fit in Oakland's roster.
What would it take to get Bryan Reynolds and J.T. Brubaker from the Pirates OR Ketel Marte and Caleb Smith from the Diamondbacks? Got to make some improvements if they are serious about contending.

Mark Polishuk
The Tribe would have to seriously clean out their farm system to land either Reynolds or Marte, and that's not the type of huge move I see a smaller-payroll team making, since they need those prospects to deliver value on their low salaries.

Brubaker or Smith are somewhat more realistic, but even still, those are young arms with a lot of remaining control, so they'd have big trade price tags.
Why is Pirates/Rockies the Monday night game on ESPN?

Mark Polishuk
I believe ESPN's contract with MLB stipulates that every team has to be shown at least once or twice on a national broadcast.
Do you think Castellanos or Winker is a likelier trade deadline bat for the Giants?

Mark Polishuk
Castellanos is "likelier" in the sense that there's a two percent chance he'd be dealt and a zero percent chance Winker is dealt. In short, don't expect either to go anywhere.
Does Arenado opt out?

Mark Polishuk
I'd be pretty surprised if he did. That's a lot of money to leave on the table, especially in an offseason that might have labor squabbles (or a work stoppage) and with the pandemic's financial impact still lingering over everything.
Is Max Kranick gonna be a long term guy in the rotation? Terrific debut today (would've gone perfect if it weren't for the rain).

Mark Polishuk
Kranick's minor league track record is only okay, but he was doing well enough that to earn a look. And wow, talk about a first impression!
What do the Brewers do at the deadline? Maybe Moose from the Reds?

Mark Polishuk
Moustakas is hurt right now, and I'm not sure the Reds will be selling at all, let alone to a division rival. I do think the Brewers will be looking to add a corner infield bat of some type, maybe an outfield bat as well depending on how healthy everyone is.
The Pirates drafting a high school Shortstop with their First pick is as dumb as the Padres drafting Matt Bush ahead of Justin Verlander or Jered Weaver, right?

Mark Polishuk
Carlos Correa was also a high school shortstop, just saying.
Do you get excited about MLB draft? Read mocks?

Mark Polishuk
Sure! That's the fun of the draft, all of the unknowns and the potential that can make or break a team.
And, cheap plug alert, for some reading on draft speculation....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/06/ ... rafts.html

Tags:

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Spider John »

Is Max Kranick gonna be a long term guy in the rotation? Terrific debut today (would've gone perfect if it weren't for the rain).

Mark Polishuk
Kranick's minor league track record is only okay, but he was doing well enough that to earn a look. And wow, talk about a first impression!
He was facing a minor league hitting team yesterday.