Recent deckchair arrangements

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Re: Recent deckchair arrangements

Post by st.lewis11 »

After seeing many teams DFI'ng players from off of their rosters the past couple of weeks, I'm wondering why we didn't cut ties with Matt Carpenter? I feel he's dead weight, not helping our team. So what if we eat that contract for the last month? I don't understand why the FO didn't go after a better bench alternative for the stretch run. Heck, for one example, give Juan Yepez a shot, he's been raking. Even he ended up underperforming up here, it would've not been worse than Marp.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cardinals designated RHP Brandon Dickson for assignment.

The move clears a spot for Andrew Miller's return from the injured list. Dickson was called up to the majors last week for the first time since 2012 and allowed three runs over two innings of work.
Sep 6, 2021, 2:17 PM ET

Cardinals activate LHP Andrew Miller from the 10-day injured list.

Miller went down late last month with a left foot blister, but he's ready to roll for Monday's opener against the Dodgers. The southpaw holds an unimpressive 4.94 ERA over 34 appearances this season.
Sep 6, 2021, 2:15 PM ET

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Jocephus wrote:
September 6 21, 12:58 pm
Cardinals designated RHP Brandon Dickson for assignment.

The move clears a spot for Andrew Miller's return from the injured list. Dickson was called up to the majors last week for the first time since 2012 and allowed three runs over two innings of work.
Sep 6, 2021, 2:17 PM ET

Cardinals activate LHP Andrew Miller from the 10-day injured list.

Miller went down late last month with a left foot blister, but he's ready to roll for Monday's opener against the Dodgers. The southpaw holds an unimpressive 4.94 ERA over 34 appearances this season.
Sep 6, 2021, 2:15 PM ET

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cardinals manager Mike Shildt indicated Monday that Luis Garcia could be a possible closer option.

In fact, Shildt said that Garcia makes “perfect sense” given that he hasn't allowed a run in his last 21 1/3 innings. However, he also expressed confidence in Giovanny Gallegos, who notched two saves before struggling in Sunday's brutal loss to the Brewers. One thing's for sure is that Alex Reyes is unlikely to see save chances in the short-term, so Garcia makes sense as a speculative play for fantasy managers who are scrounging for options.

Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Sep 7, 2021, 11:19 AM ET

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:
September 7 21, 9:45 am
Cardinals manager Mike Shildt indicated Monday that Luis Garcia could be a possible closer option.

In fact, Shildt said that Garcia makes “perfect sense” given that he hasn't allowed a run in his last 21 1/3 innings. However, he also expressed confidence in Giovanny Gallegos, who notched two saves before struggling in Sunday's brutal loss to the Brewers. One thing's for sure is that Alex Reyes is unlikely to see save chances in the short-term, so Garcia makes sense as a speculative play for fantasy managers who are scrounging for options.

I think this pisses me off more than the way the game was blown Sunday.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

CardsofSTL wrote:
September 7 21, 10:22 am
Jocephus wrote:

i'm not ready to hate shildt on his bullpen management...yet... players do still need to get outs...but i do think there's probably a psychological block in a sense...as humans we are just too comfortable with routine and roles so if these guys have a good run in them in a certain role it's just too difficult to change that, particularly "in the moment"...and also wanting to have and show respect to your players....i dont think that's unique with shildt, i think that's both ingrained in baseball the last 30-40 years and an element of human nature....so these failures, particularly in the 2nd half, are quite frustrating. it does seem tough...on one hand, do you go with "what in theory" should work, or has worked and hope you can get these games...or do you just say F it, risk losing the games you need but also possibly figuring something out on the fly and it working and thus helping your chances.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:
September 7 21, 10:28 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
September 7 21, 10:22 am
Jocephus wrote:

i'm not ready to hate shildt on his bullpen management...yet... players do still need to get outs...but i do think there's probably a psychological block in a sense...as humans we are just too comfortable with routine and roles so if these guys have a good run in them in a certain role it's just too difficult to change that, particularly "in the moment"...and also wanting to have and show respect to your players....i dont think that's unique with shildt, i think that's both ingrained in baseball the last 30-40 years and an element of human nature....so these failures, particularly in the 2nd half, are quite frustrating. it does seem tough...on one hand, do you go with "what in theory" should work, or has worked and hope you can get these games...or do you just say F it, risk losing the games you need but also possibly figuring something out on the fly and it working and thus helping your chances.
I am not saying the problem is unique to Shildt but I can tell from a fan's perspective that Gallegos has been less effective for at least the last month. Garcia has been lights out. You go with the guy that is getting outs in the pressure situations; just seems like common sense that shouldn't take a four run blown lead in the ninth to figure out.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

st.lewis11 wrote:
September 4 21, 10:34 am
After seeing many teams DFI'ng players from off of their rosters the past couple of weeks, I'm wondering why we didn't cut ties with Matt Carpenter? I feel he's dead weight, not helping our team. So what if we eat that contract for the last month? I don't understand why the FO didn't go after a better bench alternative for the stretch run. Heck, for one example, give Juan Yepez a shot, he's been raking. Even he ended up underperforming up here, it would've not been worse than Marp.
Realistically Marp should've been cut at some point in May or June. But he had about 3 fluke homers to trick the front office into thinking he was turning the corner. But he hasn't hit any since and has been straight up terrible. And its not like he's that great of a defender to where you can justify him being at least good on one side of the ball. I have a feeling that this December might be the final time that Matt Carpenter plays in a major league game. Maybe someone gives him a spring training invite next year but he's going to have to take a minor league spring training contract to attend a teams spring training and they won't feel obligated to put him on the opening day roster just to justify his salary like the Cardinals clearly felt this season.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

oh i agree...i guess i was just spitballing...and realizing being a manager probably kinda sucks

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:
September 7 21, 10:32 am
oh i agree...i guess i was just spitballing...and realizing being a manager probably kinda sucks
Sure...it's not easy to be that guy. Every drunken poster on a message board thinks they know better. It's just been a frustrating thing to watch and I question the process.