MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: 7/20 GDT: Cubs(Williams) vs Cardinals(Oviedo) 7:15 PM CT

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
July 21 21, 10:20 am
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
July 21 21, 9:37 am
As egregious as Reyes's failure was, it's overshadowed by the idiocy of using Garcia. I agree that a handful of runs is a good time to ease somebody into a role, or just try to get 2-3 outs. But the dude has done NOTHING since his time here to give any credence for trust. Nothing. Good teams, good managers, never fall on their swords in this way. Especially with walks being such a huge problem for the entire staff; you cannot sit and watch a guy walk the house and say "who else was I going to use?" Bullshildt. Andrew Miller was used the night before, but he also had a month off on the IL, or tepid use. You go to the veteran.

This was more than just another game. This was a rival, laying halfway buried in their 2021 season coffin. Chicago was unraveling defensively and offensively. This was a 'boot on your neck' moment for the Cards; almost the coup de grace. A momentum builder. A confidence enhancer. The 1st win in the career of a guy whose been grinding and still kept his chin up.. And it all came down to bullpen management....
Sorry but I disagree with this 100%

It's not Shildt's fault Mo gave a [expletive] roster to him. He cannot use Gallegos and Reyes every single night. He has to use other pitchers. It was a 5 run lead. It didn't work out.

Gallegos and Reyes aren't machines.
Garcia was a better choice then a well-rested Andrew Miller?

No disagreement on the roster. But Shildt needs to be more of a butthole when he's handed these scraps of garbage. Say what you want about TLR and the tactics he uses. But the FO didn't drop literal nobody's into his lap often, because they knew he'd react poorly; he'd let those guys rot, never using them. With Tony gone, the FO started a long term relationship with the waiver wire.

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Miller is guaranteed better results than Garcia? K, ground ball, walk. I can see Miller doing that too.

Andrew Miller has an xERA of 5.51 and has been awful this year.

Jayramball04
All-Star

Post by Jayramball04 »

Welp , this game sums up season . We stink ...

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
July 21 21, 10:49 am
Miller is guaranteed better results than Garcia? K, ground ball, walk. I can see Miller doing that too.

Andrew Miller has an xERA of 5.51 and has been awful this year.
There are no guarantees in this game. Tell you the truth, a righty is really the matchup you want. Especially since Wisdom has a homer against AM. But Gant has been an enigma with his command, so I'm looking for another veteran arm in that pen to get the outs. And you can call it a "groundball", but it was scored a hit.. A hit that turned into an xbh after an error. Then he compounded it, unraveled, and walked the next guy on 4 straight fastballs away..

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

If you're going to roster a guy like Garcia, who has some really solid looking stuff that doesn't seem to play that way, you're pretty much going to have to use him when you're trailing.

Shildt keeps saying things like "I can't pitch Gallegos, Cabrera, Reyes every game."

Well, stop pitching them in games you're down two runs in the late innings. The win probability in games like that isn't worth it if you're going to go to lousy pitchers with leads.

One of the reasons the Brewers tend to outperform their Pythagorean projections is they utilize their bullpen very smartly when they're leading and when they're trailing.