Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on July 25. It took place right after the Adam Frazier trade.

Not too many NL Central questions this time, and no bonus Q&A. There is one interesting, under-the-radar Cardinals question, though.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-11089.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Initial thoughts on the Frazier trade?

Mark Polishuk
It seems like the Pirates really loved Marcano, to the point that they even kicked money into the deal to land him. That counts as a win for the Padres, since they once again didn't have to move any of the true top-tier guys in their system.

That being said, Marcano was pretty highly regarded. A 5-10 guy in the Padres system is like being a top-five type in many other systems, so it's not like Pittsburgh is out to lunch or anything.
Who is most appealing as a trade chip if the Reds decide to sell? I would have said Castellanos a few days ago, but the injury changes things.

Mark Polishuk
Guys like Winker or Castillo wouldn't be moved. Maybe Sonny Gray, who is controlled through 2022? I'm not sure I actually see the Reds trading him, but he is a somewhat realistic potential trade chip.
If you were the GM of the teams caught in the middle (Nats, Phils, Red, Yanks, Seattle) which way would you go at the deadline?

Mark Polishuk
Mariners and Phillies = definitely buy
Reds and Yankees = strategic buys
Nats = sell
Does Anthony Rizzo have 10/5 rights?

Mark Polishuk
He doesn't. He entered the season with just shy of nine years of service time.
Man, Anthony Rizzo would look good in the Red Sox lineup, wouldn't he?

Mark Polishuk
Not to be a total Debbie Downer, but I will point out that Rizzo has been more solid (107 OPS+) than great since the start of the 2020 season.

But, since the Sox have gotten next to nothing from first base this year, even "solid" is a huge upgrade.
Sonny Gray to Dodgers for Ruiz. That a fair deal?

Mark Polishuk
Ruiz is a good headliner for a trade package, certainly.
If the Phillies were to trade for a center fielder, who would you say is the best target for them? Buxton, Bryant, Marte, or someone else?

Mark Polishuk
I would go with Marte, because he isn't hurt and because he's an actual center fielder. Bryant's ability to play CF is admirable, but he isn't an ideal choice for an everyday capacity.
Do the Astros have the pieces to complete a trade for a Kimbrel or Hand? Is the luxury tax still a major factor for them?

Mark Polishuk
The GM has said that the tax isn't an impenetrable obstacle, but I'm sure it's still some kind of a factor. The Astros won't exceed the tax line for just anyone.
Who would be better for the Dodgers to acquire: Duffy, or Kim?

Mark Polishuk
Kim is healthy, so he's my default choice.
Over/under 2.5 of Kimbrel, Hendricks, Contreras, Baez, Bryant, Rizzo traded?

Mark Polishuk
Bryant and Kimbrel seem gone.....I'm just barely wary enough on Baez that I'll go with the under.

Tags: