Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on August 8. This was his 1st post-deadline chat.

A fair amount of NL Central questions this time, and 2 bonus Q&As: one about comp balance picks and one retrospective question about the draft/All-Star Game/trade deadline all occurring in July.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-11182.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Please tell me the Cardinals will be involved in a stacked SS free agency class. Dejong is not the answer.

Mark Polishuk
Expecting Arenado to try and recruit his pal Trevor, eh? It isn't out of the question, since DeJong is flexible enough to be moved over to second base and Edman could move into outfield duty or super-util duty.
Was Madrigal a big enough return for 2 years of Kimbrel?

Mark Polishuk
Most definitely. That was a nice score for the Cubs.
Is Nick Senzel coming back as a SS?

Mark Polishuk
Just getting Senzel back onto the field in any capacity counts as a win at this point.
How much are the Cubs spending in the off-season when their guaranteed salaries are already sitting so low for 2022?

Mark Polishuk
The Cubs have less than $60MM on the books for 2022, so if they wanted to immediately reload with a couple of big star names, it's possible. However, there has already been ample evidence over the last couple of years that ownership has been looking to cut costs, so while payroll will be higher than $60MM, I don't see it approaching anywhere near $200MM.
When will people stop saying White Sox and cubs don't trade with each other?

Mark Polishuk
I was saying the same thing prior to the deadline, and to be fair, it's not like the teams are frequent trade partners. But good on the front offices for being open to improving their teams without worrying about local rivalries.
Do you think any of the players dealt at this year's trade deadline will have as much of an impact as Willy Adames has had with the Brewers?

Mark Polishuk
Starling Marte may have stolen two more bases since I've started writing this response, but overall, you may have a point. The Adames deal is looking like a strong contender for Trade Of The Year.
Cubs vs Nats, who do you think is better off for the future?

Mark Polishuk
What team is better off for the future?
Cubs(22.6% | 100 votes)

Nationals(77.4% | 343 votes)

Total Votes: 443

Personally, I'll vote for the team that already has Juan Soto.
Do the Pirates try and add a few mid price free agents to take their rebuild to the next phase? Maybe a reunion with Cutch?

Mark Polishuk
Pittsburgh is another team that is still at least a year away from doing anything more than minimal spending in free agency. As fun as a reunion with McCutchen would be, he's hungry to play for a winner, not rejoin a team that is still rebuilding.
Any chance the Cardinals kick the tires on Kris Bryant? He could be a super utility guy especially if they add the DH to the National League. He can play all four corner positions and center field. I mean is St. Louis too boring for him?

Mark Polishuk
If Bryant really did have hard feelings towards the Cubs, there would be no better way to get revenge than to sign in St. Louis. However, since Arenado and Goldschmidt are locked into the corner IF spots, Bryant's versatility isn't as big an asset with the Cards as it would be on other teams. A DH spot would help, since the Cards could then rotate everyone around to keep them fresh.
Why does MLB give draft picks to small market teams and how is this calculated? Detroit had one this year and can clearly spend they have in the past.

Mark Polishuk
As per MLB.com's Mike Rosenbaum, "Since 2017, Major League Baseball has used a formula that combines revenue, winning percentage and market score to award Draft picks to teams that fall in the bottom 10 in revenue or market size."
Was holding the draft during All-Star Week a good idea?

Mark Polishuk
I suspect most or all front offices would've happily preferred to keep the draft in June, since having both the draft prep, the draft signings, and trade deadline season all mashed into one month turns July into a gauntlet.

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by CardsofSTL »

Mark Polishuk
Expecting Arenado to try and recruit his pal Trevor, eh? It isn't out of the question, since DeJong is flexible enough to be moved over to second base and Edman could move into outfield duty or super-util duty.

I am down for something like this.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by sighyoung »

CardsofSTL wrote:
August 10 21, 10:08 am
Mark Polishuk

I am down for something like this.
I wouldn't say no.