Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on August 21.

A lot fewer questions this week, so I included a few bonus Q&As (about the proposed CBT thresholds and other CBA-related questions) as well.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-11260.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Did you see Kolten Wong's ridiculous tag-up score today?

Mark Polishuk
Very cool play, great awareness by Wong to realize he had an opportunity to score there.
The Brewers are looking very scary right now. Those starting pitchers, bullpen and offense coming on. They are my favs for the WS!! Do you agree?

Mark Polishuk
I'm not sure if there is a clear #1 favorite for the Series, but Milwaukee is definitely in that top tier. They're a perpetually underrated team.
Eric Hosmer for Jason Heyward: who says no?

Mark Polishuk
Maybe the players themselves....Heyward has full no-trade protection and Hosmer has partial no-trade protection.
Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, Wainwright, maybe Reyes, maybe Happ, retool the bullpen. Is this the way the Cardinals go or do they go for a big time starter?

Mark Polishuk
The Cardinals should definitely be on the lookout for more pitching depth, especially after all their injuries this year. Landing one "big time" arm and maybe another lower-tier free agent would help immensely. Best-case scenario if everyone is healthy, they have a six-man rotation to keep everyone fresh.

BTW, I'm kind of just assuming that Wainwright re-signs again. If the Cardinals are already being proactive and trying to extend Molina early, it's fair to guess they're doing the same with Wainwright.
Votto a HoF?

Mark Polishuk
He'd get my vote.
Field of Dreams game was a huge success. Do you think it should be an annual affair? And should the White Sox be the host team each time?

Mark Polishuk
Seems like it will be an annual thing, though Cubs/Reds is next year's matchup, so maybe the two Chicago teams will alternate hosting duties.
Do you see Pujols ever signing with Cardinals, before he retires?

Mark Polishuk
I think a one-day ceremonial contract is a certainty. As to whether or not the Cards would actually sign Pujols to play in 2022.....even with a DH spot available, I have doubts.
Pujols can still hit left-handed pitching, however. Between having him as a part-timer and given his past ties as a STL legend, it isn't out of the question.
Castellanos would look good on the south side in RF in 2022.

Mark Polishuk
Adding Castellanos to that already stacked White Sox lineup would be pretty wild.
Is Trevor Rogers still the fav for NL rookie of the year? I know he's missed a lot this month.

Mark Polishuk
I think Jonathan India is the favorite for the ROY.
Would any of the big market teams actually agree to lowering the CBT thresholds so significantly, which would significantly impact their flexibility, without demanding something like an amnesty clause?

Mark Polishuk
It's possible, though since most big-market teams would happily embrace the salary restriction created by a lowered CBT threshold, they wouldn't mind.
Can teams sign players if there is no CBA in place? When does the current CBA end?

Mark Polishuk
The current CBA expires on December 1. If significant progress hasn't been made towards a new deal by then, the league will likely institute a transactions freeze. If I recall from the last CBA talks, teams kind of held back on making huge moves but there was no official freeze, since a new deal was worked out relatively easily.
Likelihood the next CBA reduces number of years of team control before free agency?

Mark Polishuk
Less than a 50 percent chance, I'd say. Maybe only slightly less than 50. This is something the players will push hard for, but the owners won't shorten the team control years without a significant concession.

Tags:

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Popeye_Card »

It would be cool if Pujols can get to 700 HR. He's 23 shy right now. It would probably take 2 seasons of part-time play against lefties only to reach the mark.

It is intriguing, but that really hamstrings your bench.