Re: How good is Yadier Molina, really?

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popeye_Card wrote:
April 25 22, 4:34 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 25 22, 4:10 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
April 25 22, 3:10 pm

That said, at least in Pujols' case, I would probably rather see him get 700 HR's than for another wild card entry into the playoffs and fizzle in the first round. It is an insane milestone that we'll probably never see another Cardinal achieve.
This is an odd thing to root for to me. Always go for the playoffs and the ring. The hype for counting stats for guys past their prime fizzles quicker than any first round fizzle.

I don't really care about counting stats if you're someone that doesn't even put up AA replacement numbers in terms of wRC+. Is the homer milestone really that interesting?
Enjoy the game however you want. I've seen dozens of Cardinal playoff teams, and a few championships. I've never seen a Cardinal hit 700 HR's. I think that would be cool. And yeah, I would probably move on to something else about 5 minutes later.

I mean, none of it really means anything.
lol didn't mean to get existential. Just trying to understand that type of fanhood. To each their own!

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Yadi was the freaking best. I miss him already. 19 years on the Cardinals. Absolutely insane.

He is retiring at exactly the right time. Athletes sometimes retire too early or too late. He finally had a season where his tangible value wasn't worth it anymore. I am glad he finished on a single with 2 outs in the 9th. And I am glad he organized a pick off earlier in the game.

Thanks for the memories Yadi. See you in Cooperstown.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Popeye_Card wrote:
Yadi and Pujols' playing time this year is going to become a bigger concern, in what will likely end up being a close division and/or wild card race. If Pujols is sitting around 15 HR's come early August, there is going to be a push to get him at least one PA every game. Yadi is going to continue to push to play at least half the time, and he's not one to be quiet about it. Even if their lack of performance only costs the Cardinals a win or two, that could be the difference.

That said, at least in Pujols' case, I would probably rather see him get 700 HR's than for another wild card entry into the playoffs and fizzle in the first round. It is an insane milestone that we'll probably never see another Cardinal achieve.
Lucky me! I got to see Pujols hit 700 AND watch the Cardinals fizzle out in the first round.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
October 12 22, 12:49 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
Yadi and Pujols' playing time this year is going to become a bigger concern, in what will likely end up being a close division and/or wild card race. If Pujols is sitting around 15 HR's come early August, there is going to be a push to get him at least one PA every game. Yadi is going to continue to push to play at least half the time, and he's not one to be quiet about it. Even if their lack of performance only costs the Cardinals a win or two, that could be the difference.

Lucky me! I got to see Pujols hit 700 AND watch the Cardinals fizzle out in the first round.
Be careful what you wish for!

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

What a time to be alive.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 25 22, 4:10 pm
The hype for counting stats for guys past their prime fizzles quicker than any first round fizzle.

I don't really care about counting stats if you're someone that doesn't even put up AA replacement numbers in terms of wRC+. Is the homer milestone really that interesting?
JoeMcKim wrote:
April 25 22, 4:35 pm
These personal stat accomplishments are stuff you remember for a few days after they happen. Albert has already had the majority of his home runs as a Cardinal him getting #700 while also winning a Cardinals uniform is nothing more than a trivia question.
I was wrong about this, too.