How good is Yadier Molina, really?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: How good is Yadier Molina, really?

Post by GeddyWrox »

obucard wrote:
October 14 21, 2:40 pm
Forget the computer screen; go for the smartfridge.

LOL!!!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

How good is he? First ballot Hall of Famer (should be).

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Yo-Yo
Since May 1 of last year, Yadier Molina is hitting .233/.274/.312, for a 63 wRC+. His framing last year tanked, placing him 61st out of 81 catchers (min 100 innings). Knizner's good start seems to be mostly luck, and his framing was even worse last year, at 77th. Prospect Herrera hasn't been able to solve upper-minors pitching yet. Should the Cardinals acquire a catcher, or will nostalgia win out -- to the detriment of the club? They are in the perfect spot on the win curve, where even a minor upgrade could dramatically improve their odds of winning the Central.

Ben Clemens
They are not acquiring a catcher, so this is going to be a theoretical answer only
I think that if they just played Molina way less, things would be better for everyone. He's just not an everyday catcher at this point in his career. On a Cards broadcast recently, one of the announcers mentioned that they spoke to Yadi and that he doesn't like catching on one knee anymore because he's out of shape and 'you don't really steal too many strikes that way anyway, just once in a while'
This is on a day where he was scheduled to get a rest day but demanded to play because it was his last game in Miami.
If I were the Cardinals, I might just play him anyway for the nostalgia tour. One win in 2022 is probably not worth the long-term vibes you'd lose by cutting him loose
But he's 100% not the best option if they want to win now.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Yadi and Pujols' playing time this year is going to become a bigger concern, in what will likely end up being a close division and/or wild card race. If Pujols is sitting around 15 HR's come early August, there is going to be a push to get him at least one PA every game. Yadi is going to continue to push to play at least half the time, and he's not one to be quiet about it. Even if their lack of performance only costs the Cardinals a win or two, that could be the difference.

That said, at least in Pujols' case, I would probably rather see him get 700 HR's than for another wild card entry into the playoffs and fizzle in the first round. It is an insane milestone that we'll probably never see another Cardinal achieve.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Having already gone through that transition to a bench role, Albert will likely have a calming effect on Yadi as his playing time decreases.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popeye_Card wrote:
April 25 22, 3:10 pm

That said, at least in Pujols' case, I would probably rather see him get 700 HR's than for another wild card entry into the playoffs and fizzle in the first round. It is an insane milestone that we'll probably never see another Cardinal achieve.
This is an odd thing to root for to me. Always go for the playoffs and the ring. The hype for counting stats for guys past their prime fizzles quicker than any first round fizzle.

I don't really care about counting stats if you're someone that doesn't even put up AA replacement numbers in terms of wRC+. Is the homer milestone really that interesting?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 25 22, 4:10 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
April 25 22, 3:10 pm

This is an odd thing to root for to me. Always go for the playoffs and the ring. The hype for counting stats for guys past their prime fizzles quicker than any first round fizzle.

I don't really care about counting stats if you're someone that doesn't even put up AA replacement numbers in terms of wRC+. Is the homer milestone really that interesting?
Enjoy the game however you want. I've seen dozens of Cardinal playoff teams, and a few championships. I've never seen a Cardinal hit 700 HR's. I think that would be cool. And yeah, I would probably move on to something else about 5 minutes later.

I mean, none of it really means anything.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 25 22, 4:10 pm
Is the homer milestone really that interesting?
It's more interesting to me than someone's wrc+ fwar etc.

Might not be to you or others; but people have different things that strike their interest.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

These personal stat accomplishments are stuff you remember for a few days after they happen. Albert has already had the majority of his home runs as a Cardinal him getting #700 while also winning a Cardinals uniform is nothing more than a trivia question.