Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on September 12.

Lots of good questions this week, though I did include 1 hyperbolic bonus Q&A about the Giants sudden excellence amongst their veterans. You have to see the question to understand.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-11395.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What kind of moves do you see the Pirates making in the offseason?

Mark Polishuk
Nothing too major, I would expect. Many of the pricier veterans have already been dealt away, so I would expect the Pirates to mostly focus on adding a couple of low-level veterans to help out the youngsters. (Those veterans would ideally play well enough to be trade chips at next year's deadline.)
Do the Cardinals need more offense in 2022? And, does that come from within or do they need to sign some hitters?

Mark Polishuk
The Cardinals can pencil Molina, Goldy, Arenado, O'Neill, and Carlson into next year's everyday lineup, with Bader getting at least a part-time role and Edman there in some capacity (whether as an everyday player or super-util guy). Paul DeJong is also there, though I agree with the idea that he might be a trade chip this winter if the Cards look to add one of the big free agent shortstops.

Or, flipping the scenario around, the Cards could add a second baseman and trade Edman, then make Edmundo Sosa the new utilityman. The Cardinals will also have Nolan Gorman waiting in the wings, and a DH spot to likely work with, so there is definitely room for them to add another big bat.
Mad Max has been great, but after last night's domination and if he finishes strong, how can they not give the NL Cy Young to Corbin Burnes? He may not have pitched as many innings, but he's shattered some MLB records that should matter more than IP...thoughts?

Mark Polishuk
Both pitchers have a terrific case, but if I had a vote, I would also go with Burnes. In fWAR, it isn't even close. Burnes leads 7.1 to Scherzer's 4.7. Zack Wheeler is also not far behind Burnes with a 6.5 fWAR.
(Before you read this question, know this was asked by someone who identified as "M. Carpenter fan". Seriously.)

Do you think the cardinals will trade Matt Carpenter? If yes then why?

Mark Polishuk
Carpenter is only controlled via club option for 2022, so the Cards can just decline that option if they want to part ways with Carpenter.

And, given how Carpenter's production has fallen off, that option will certainly be declined.
Could Wainwright get a similar deal to Charlie Morton with his performance this year?

Mark Polishuk
Earlier this week, Morton signed a one-year extension worth $20MM, and the Braves have another $20MM club option on him for 2023.

Wainwright made only $8MM this year, so it would be a big jump. But given how well he has pitched not just this year but really since the start of the 2020 season, he has definitely earned a healthy raise, if perhaps not to the $20MM neighborhood. I could see Wainwright taking less of a guarantee but with some incentives baked in, so the Cards might have a bit more payroll to spend on other upgrades.
Why aren't coaches, other than managers, in HOF? Shouldn't someone like Dave Duncan deserve to get enshrined?

Mark Polishuk
Several baseball writers have suggested that the HOF have some kind of "baseball lifer" category to recognize great coaches, scouts, etc. I think this would be a tremendous idea.
If the Reds fail to make the playoffs, and with Bell in his final contract year, do you see them switching managers?

Mark Polishuk
Technically, Bell is only in his last guaranteed year, though the Reds could still pick up a club option for 2022.

But I agree that Cincinnati could be a prime candidate for a managerial change if they fall short of the playoffs.
How do u not even include Jonathan India in your rookie of the year comments? Dude should run away with it.

Mark Polishuk
Me, I came up with it just now.

I was specifying just the AL Rookie of the Year candidates. India should indeed be the heavy NL favorite.
What does a Rasiel Iglesias contract look like? Who are the other top relievers on the market?

Mark Polishuk
I like Lorenzen's potential upside, but Iglesias seems to pretty clearly be the best free agent reliever available this winter. He's entering his age-32 season but with such a consistent track record, he'll get at least three years. Iglesias will also look to top at least $16MM per year in average annual value.
Is Patrick Wisdom, Cubs 3rd baseman next year?

Mark Polishuk
He has pretty sharply cooled off since his hot start in Chicago, so I'll say no.
Which of the Cubs high-profile trade deadline sell-off (Bryant, Rizzo, Baez) is most likely to re-sign with the team in the off-season, and which would be the best re-sign?

Mark Polishuk
Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, in that order. But, I think it's a moot point since none of them are going to re-sign. My view is that Chicago is going to make a clean break and get decidedly younger, and might not even start really spending until the 2022-23 offseason.
What does a Lorenzen contract look like? Will he sign as a starter or a reliever -- I believe he wants to start?

Mark Polishuk
He wanted to start and the Reds were stretching him out in Spring Training before his injury problems arose.

I can see a team taking that same approach in free agency. They'll give him an opportunity to start in 2022, but with the bullpen as the fallback option. With this in mind, I could see Lorenzen's reps looking for something of an incentive-heavy contract, with clauses built in to address his salary depending on what his usage ends up being.
Burnes/Hader combined no-no was incredible, ninth of the season. Wild thoughts on how many the final tally is for this year? Lots grouped together in the beginning of the year, but anything can happen.

Mark Polishuk
I think we'll see at least one more no-no (in a nine-inning game) before the season is out.
Here is the most MEANINGFUL AND IMPACTFUL QUESTION EVER ON THIS CHAT: Why is nobody questioning the sudden career year of every Giants player all at the same time? This wreaks of another scandal......performance-enhancing substance....or sign stealing perhaps??? Don't tell me they all just "figured it out" when most of them are veterans with proven track records. I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but let's be real here.

Mark Polishuk
In fairness, I'm sure some Giants fans once asked "we're supposed to believe Max Muncy, Justin Turner, Chris Taylor, etc. all magically became stars as soon as they got to Los Angeles? What is this, SORCERY?!"

But maybe the easier answer is just that the Giants coaching staff knows what they're doing. And as noted, veteran guys like Posey, Belt, Crawford, etc. all have proven track records. It isn't necessarily a surprise that they'd improve when healthy or (in Crawford's case) after a swing overhaul.

Also, the most meaningful and impactful question ever asked in this chat was the one about my favorite hot dog toppings.

Tags:

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by heyzeus »

Way to sidestep that hot Carpenter question. I mean, the Cardinals should probably pick up his $20mil option and then explore the trade market for him.