Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on September 14. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

A few more questions this week, but no bonus Q&As. Enjoy anyway.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... 11416.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You think the Cubs will show David Ross the door?

Steve Adams
I do not.
Cutch returning to the Pirates in 2022?

Steve Adams
If you're McCutchen you want to go to a contender.

If you're the Pirates, you're probably going cheap in the OF and adding someone you can control more than a year -- someone with some prime left. A non-tendered guy, some kind of trade candidate... I don't think a reunion really works there.
Are the Cards going to end up with a bunch of dinosaurs ending their career after next year? (Wainwright, Molina, Pujols, Carpenter.)

Steve Adams
I don't think Carpenter will be back.

Yadi is obviously back already. I expect Wainwright to return. Pujols, maybe if the DH comes to the NL, but man... if it does, they'd be better off signing a more-productive player. I suppose they could sign him and then platoon him with an in-house option or another low-cost bench pickup. A Brad Miller type or something.
HOF RYAN BRAUN!

Steve Adams
BOLD prediction: He does not get in.
Would signing Wainwright be a smart move to pair with Morton for the Braves?

Steve Adams
If Wainwright were going to sign anywhere other than St. Louis, it'd probably be the Braves ... but I would put the odds at like 98% Cards and 2% Braves.
After the Big 3, who is Milw #4 starter in a 7 game series: Houser or Lauer?

Steve Adams
I doubt they'd make any such declaration. At that point, it'd be based on matchup, recent pitcher usage, etc.
Which teams are, realistically, going to be in the SS market this winter (assuming there is an FA market)? Yanks, Cardinals, Angels, LAD (for anyone other than Seager tho?), Houston (?), anyone else? Seems like huge supply and little demand will make it really hard for a bunch of really good players to get the contracts they deserve.

Steve Adams
Yankees, Angels, Blue Jays, Twins, Tigers, Rangers, Mariners, Phillies, Nats all seem like they'll be in the mix. Reds, too, if they're not sold on Barrero at shortstop (though they should probably just give him an audition there next year).
What would have to happen for Braves to legally be able to veto Ozuna's deal?

Steve Adams
We haven't seen any recent contracts get vetoed for suspensions under the domestic violence policy. If he went to prison, which doesn't sound likely at all since his charges were reduced and he recently entered an intervention program, they could keep him on the restricted list like the Pirates are doing with Felipe Vazquez.

They won't owe Ozuna anything for the time he's suspended, but there's no real precedent for them being spared the remainder of the contract.
You didn't include the Cubs in the SS market group, which I think would come as news to most Cubs fans. Who really want Correa as far as I can tell.

Steve Adams
I question whether the Cubs will actually spend at the necessary level to sign a Correa, Seager, etc.
With the news of Braun retiring. Even before the PED fiasco , I felt like Matt Kemp got robbed by Braun. Now with the PED news, it seemed like a travesty . Did you feel the same way?

Steve Adams
I was on the Kemp side of the debate at the time, as I recall, but I didn't think Braun winning was egregious. Obviously, the immediate PED scandal after the fact changed things.
Is there a consensus No. 1 draft choice for next year or will it again be a coin toss with the Pirates using a strategy of spreading out the bonus bucks?

Steve Adams
There's rarely any certainty with who'll go 1-1 this far out. You have the possibility of teams cutting deals, of course, but you also have pop-up guys who were nowhere near the consideration forcing their names into the mix. Look at Marcelo Mayor this year.

Tags:

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by Popeye_Card »

I wonder if he forgot to include the Cardinals in the SS market, or intentionally did not include them because of a.) DeJong or b.) knowing that the Cardinals won't sign a big name FA.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Popeye_Card wrote:
September 15 21, 11:20 am
I wonder if he forgot to include the Cardinals in the SS market, or intentionally did not include them because of a.) DeJong or b.) knowing that the Cardinals won't sign a big name FA.
Or c.) Sosa

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Radbird wrote:
September 15 21, 11:29 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
September 15 21, 11:20 am
Or c.) Sosa
Or d.) Delvin Perez

Oh, wait...